SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
steveskm62

new hvac quote w/ load calc, but questions

steveskm62
15 years ago

hello,

i recently had a quote for a new hvac system (current is old and needs replacing), however i am reluctant to go with a 4 ton unit. i currently have a 3.5 ton system that the builder spec'd. i have decided to go with a trane unit (15XLi to be specific), but not sure if i should go with the 4 ton that was spec'd. the load calc was only 1 or 2k btu's above 3.5 tons, and a 4-ton seems a tad bit oversized. the rep said this would allow for more airflow, but i wonder if it would also bring more noise. he did look @ ductwork, all checks out. w/ the 4 ton i would get the 4tee3f49 air handler, but he mentioned this will be a tight fit (current air handler is 54 inches and its tight enough--*49 is 58 in.) . i have been doing some research online, and i read that load calc's are only relevant to the extreme outdoor conditions. my house has a lot of shade, and am i wrong to think that 1 or 2k btu's undersized is not that bad? the 3.5 ton 15XLi and 4tee3f40 air handler would fit much better. also, how short can the metal box underneath the air handler be w/o causing issues?

thanks for reading

Comments (3)