SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
momtofour_gw

Squeaky close to a finished kitchen....after 24 years of changes!

momtofour
10 years ago

My ex and I bought our home 24 years ago. The kitchen was 10 x 13 with four doorways, a four-foot radiator, a chimney, a 30" window and a four-foot window. I had a 6-foot starter set of cabinets from the 40s or 50s, a sagging plaster ceiling and peeling (NOT asbestos) floor. Sounds lovely, doesn't it? We eliminated one door and reconfigured windows and another doorway within months. I painted it twice within a month and ulitmately ended up wallpapering.

About 20 years ago my ex built me 3 wall cabinets. About 15 years ago the sag in the ceiling fell when there thankfully was no one in the room. It got patched.

I remarried and 7 years ago we added 8 feet making the room 10 x 21. 5 years ago almost to the day we demo'd the kitchen. I lived with no water on the main floor of the house for nine months while I had 4 humans and 2 dogs to care for. The living room had the cabinets in it. The dining room had the kitchen appliances in it and the 8 foot addition to the kitchen was my 'temporary' kitchen. Life was surely interesting. I've been ABB since hooking the water back up.

Last January we picked the backsplash. February we ordered it. March it came in. By May I'd committed enough badgering to convince my husband to tile the wall that needed only 6'. I pushed and prodded since then but boy is he resistant. Today he finished grouting the wall that has over 18' of tile.

Our final step is to replace the outlets on this wall and install the switchplates, and install the light rail and crown molding. After waiting 24 years, I will have a new and complete kitchen. I need to look back at photos through that time span and find pictures of all of the before and afters. It will probably take me a few months to do it but that's ok because it will probably take that long for the trim to be installed!

Other than the shell of the addition (which also included a family room) this was a completely DIY project. Other than the shell of the addition the total cost of the kitchen was about 21,000. I always wanted to post on that 20k kitchen thread, but we weren't finished! My husband does slow but nearly perfect work.

I'm not finished but I'm finally so darned close I just had to share!

Comments (6)