SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
needsometips08

Our finished DIY kitchen (well over a year later!)

needsometips08
12 years ago

I don't know if anyone remembers me, it's been a long time! Our kitchen has been finished for I think upwards of 2 years now maybe.

I didn't post because well, honestly my kitchen doesn't have the glamour and prestige that most of the kitchens here have, but I am really enjoying it, loving it, and am so glad we did it. What I love:

1. Function, function, function (thanks so much to Gardenwebbers here, especially Rhome410). It's such a joy to work in. I LOVE the layout.

2. It fits the area we live in (the PNW), and it fits our house and our neighborhood, both of which have a traditional feel.

3. I like all the wood, which goes along with the PNW feel.

4. I like that we did it all ourselves.

The only disappointment is the hutch. The cabinet makers used a primitive rendition of the plans I'd drawn up and they had already ate the cost of it twice before and I was just tired of it and ready to move on.

It's not totally done. Small touches need to be finished: chandelier, rugs, window treatment.

We did everything ourselves except the cabinet fabrication and install and the granite. Everything else - and I am talking EVERYTHING, inside and out - if you see it or don't see it, we did it! Thanks to my wonderful family who donated many hours and my grandpa who donated his lifetime of expertise in all things construction!

Old kitchen:

During:

New kitchen (ignore that white dot, it's the camera, not the kitchen):

My only disappointment (should not have been ceiling height):

Repurposed the old kitchen cabinets:

From open, wire, messy unattractive shelving, to:

Comments (35)