SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
renovationgirl_gw

Ductwork A/C questions

renovationgirl
15 years ago

I am installing a 3 ton split system and have received @ 3-4 quotes from Carrier & Lennox dealers for the install. I did my research on the SEER and all the other ratings and I am looking for a good two stage condensor unit w/ variable speed blower....Since I live on a barrier island,outside of Charleston SC, I need to by a good middle of the road system unit as the salt air ruins these units in under 12 years, and the payback ratio for a top of the line system would not be there. I am satisfied with the dealer's quotes but I have a problem as follows: Only one dealer really pushed buying new ductwork and claimed that the new system would not work as well or could not guarantee any efficiencies... Actually this same salesperson quoted all the products to me...air purifiers, Uv LIghts etc...and insisted that I buy them to have the better system. Here's the problem, I have a very low peak roof and most of this stuff wouldn't fit or be very hard to install- the salesman also told me that after year one, I could discontinue using the "in line air purifie" etc...if I didn't like it. He told me that I need to but it to receive all the company rebates. I don't have animals that make the air less than pure and the attic is well insulated with no mold nor mildew etc...Also the ductwork is less then 18 years old and prior to the Heat pump system needing replacement, I was pretty comfortable in my home using existing ductwork. I will be buying the air handler that goes upstairs and the outside unit, creating the heat pump split system, and I am moving away from Heil Mfr. to a Carrier or Lennox only because of the installers in my area, I'm not knocking their product. Do I absolutely need new ductwork as well? I purchased my parents home from my brother's when My Mom Passes away recently,and now I am renovating quite a bit, as time was spent on nursing aging parents instead of home maintenance--so, lots to do with not so much funds being tight from medical bills. I am starting renovations with a new A/C system and storm doors etc.. Could really use your assistance here from the experts in the field on the ductwork. I don't have any problems in the attic such as animals in the attic creating holes in the ductwork or damaging it and from what I can see, the ductwork looks okay as it is all sealed etc...I do like the prices structure for the rest of this companies quote- after I remove all the extras, but I am thinking more that he was just trying to sell me everyting in his book. Can you assist with some suggestions. I don't want to get in over my head. also I am considering moving the air register from the side of the hallway to the ceiling of the hallway as this gives me back a large cabinet. All companies quoting told me they can do this- but does it help the air flow, or any other advantages that anyone can think of? Thanks Ladies and Gents!

Comments (4)