SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
edlakin

Duct Opening Under Cabinet???

edlakin
16 years ago

Hello,

I have a question for all you HVAC folks. We're having our kitchen re-done and part of the new cabinetry is covering the spot on the floor where there was a heat/ac register opening.

The way the contractor dealt with this was to open up the side of the cabinet that's covering the vent, and then the side of another cabinet next to it which has a front valence-type opening rather than a solid toe kick.

I hope I'm explaining myself good enough. Sorry if this is hard to visualize.

So the air can certainly move from the duct opening out into the room, but to do so, it first has to occupy the space under two base cabinets, which seems wasteful to me. I'm concerned that the air flow is going to be weak, causing the heat/ac to kind of slowly waft up into the room rather than entering the room as it would through a small duct opening.

Also, the valence is just wide open as is the space under the cabinet, so all sorts of dust, dog hair and other debris could easily get into the duct. I'm concerned that the area will attract tons of crap and that accessing the duct to clean it will be very difficult.

Any thoughts?

Comments (5)