SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nyrichard

3.5 Ton Split Unit and Tax Credit

nyrichard
14 years ago

I apologize if this is a repeat post, but I did a search and was unable to find an answer. I currently have a split central air conditioning system that is 3.5 Tons and it is about 12 years old. It uses R-22 refrigerant and after doing a leak test, I have been told that it has a pinhole leak in the evaporator coil. The cost to repair the system does not seem worth it for a 12-year old system and in light of the phase out of R-22, the current tax credit and the age of the unit, I am leaning towards installing a new 410A Condenser and Air Handler.

I am getting estimates from 3 different HVAC companies and I seem to be getting conflicting or uncertain information. One company said that their Trane representative told them that no company is currently making a 3.5 ton (or larger) split matching unit that qualifies for the credit (based on insufficient EER). A second company told me they heard the same thing, but that we could do a mix of a 5 ton air handler (brought down somehow to 3.5 tons) and 3.5 ton condenser from Carrier that would qualify. The third company told me that they found a Ruud combination that would qualify for the credit (though they haven't provided me any verification or model numbers yet).

With all this confusion, I have contacted Home Depot and through their home installation service, another HVAC company is coming out tonight to give me an estimate.

Please help cure my confusion!! Am I out of luck with the credit - why is there so much confusion with these guys that do this for a living?

Comments (7)