SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
buehl

Desensitizing an iTouchless Trash Can...can it be done?

Buehl
15 years ago

I recently purchased a 1.3 gallon iTouchless trash can for under my prep sink. Well, it came the other day and I got it all setup...I placed it under the sink and yes, it opened when I got within 6" of it and then closed 3 seconds or so later. Great, I thought, I now have a way to dispose of prepping trash w/o traipsing across the kitchen to the pullout next to the main sink!

But then.......(I'm sure you see it coming!)

I closed the cabinet door...and whrrrrrr it opened again!!! And it stayed open, it didn't close after a few minutes (I tested 10 mins). Grrr...I had forgotten that once closed, the cabinet door would be within the 6" range!!!!!!

So now I'm stumped...I couldn't find a way to "desensitize" it to on inch or two or to have it automatically close after a few minutes of no activity.

Does anyone know of a way to do either one...preferably the latter ("time out")?

Help!!!

Comments (2)

• llaatt22
    15 years ago

Get some black plastic electrical tape and take two pieces and place them over the IR sensor "eye" to form a sort of cat's eye with a clear slit down or across the center. Move the temporary pieces of tape closer together or further apart until you get the performance you want then trim another permanent piece of tape to copy that shape and stick it on.

• Buehl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the idea Laat2, I'll try it...but, I did do something similar w/regular tape but it just left the lid open since the tape was within 6"! I suspect the same thing will happen w/the black tape, but I'll try!

I don't understand why they don't have a "timeout" built into them for instances when something is accidentally left w/in the 6" range...it'll kill the batteries! I don't think most people keep it open 5 or 10 mins, just the amount of time needed to use it....probably only a few seconds.