SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
experimentalbbq

Help Mom w/HVAC

experimentalbbq
14 years ago

Hey Folks,

I've read some pretty spirited conversations here and feel that I've found some experts! Hope ya'll can help me with my mother and her HVAC situation.

My mom has an 8-Seer Carrier system installed in 1995-1996. We believe it's seen it's days and it's time to go. We have had my HVAC guy go out there and check out her system. He agrees that it's probably time to replace the outside unit. Originally I thought she had a 3-ton unit, but it turned out to be a 4 ton unit. So.. he proposed changing out her unit with a Trane 4-ton unit. He offered 2 different options of a 13 seer and 14 seer unit. Originally when I thought it was a 3 ton until he offered up the unit models as 2TTR3036A1000AA (13 seer) or 2TTx4036 over the phone as his standard replacement units, but said he needed to see everything first (there might be more numbers after the second set of numbers for the 14 seer.. I failed to write them down). He shared the model numbers to make sure if she got somebody else out there they could compare apples to apples when it came to price.

After visiting the residence he adjusted his bid to fit a 4 ton until of the same style above (just the bigger 4 ton version of the one above). He said that he was suggesting using the "residential" until over the builders grade (guess that's the "R" in the model number?) He said that the furnace looked good and should be good for a number of years more.

So he was suggesting a price of 2280.00 for the 13 seer unit.. and 2490.00 for the 14 seer unit (plus tax). This includes changing out the thermostat, haul off of the old equip, and replacing the plastic base it sits on with a pre-fab concrete new pad.

So.. here's the questions (and I know I will get some back)

1) Good prices? Seems pretty reasonable to me.. but what do I know? That's why I'm here!

2) Time to kick the dead horse (I've read the posts from earlier).. these units are R22 units.. not the 401A (?) version. (Gulp.. here it comes).. any thoughts on that?

3) Will the jump from the old 8 seer to a 13 or 14 through the 1996 furnace still help with cooling the house? My mom is retired (70 year old lady), on a fixed income, and could use the extra money from a better electric bill.. I don't want her taken.

This is the first estimate.. from my HVAC guy that I've used for about 4 years... My mom called somebody out of the phone book to come and give an estimate as well (gulp, again). She has the fixation with Carrier units, even though I've shared the thought that it's not the equip, it's the installer.

Any questions I can answer I will do. Any thoughts you have on my questions, or thoughts in general would be very appreciated.

Thanks!

EBBQ

Comments (8)