SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ed1315

Childhood memories Tacos

ed1315
10 years ago

Many years ago in the early 1960's my aunt from South Arizona visited our home in Indiana. While visiting My Aunt wanted to cook us a meal: Tacos! Back in those days there were no taco kits and Mexican food was not popular in the Midwest. I had never heard of tacos much less eaten them. I must have been 6-8 years old, even so, at that young age cooking interested me.

I can remember to this day her making the shells. First she made a cornmeal dough, then used a rolling pin and rolled the dough very thin and cut into a circle. Then she put them into a skillet with oil and deep fried them. Now the cool part! Just as they were done she pulled them out and draped them over a round stick (maybe it was a broomstick) to make a perfect crunchy shell.

Lately, I have been experimenting with cornmeal and thought I would see it I could find a recipe that somewhat close to what I remember... To my dismay, There is nothing. Most call for buying pre-made tortillas and hanging them over your oven rack and backing them, YUCK!

Is there anyone that has made "real" taco shells out there?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert