SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paula_pa

I guess I don't have a strong sense of adventure

paula_pa
14 years ago

Since Moni's cross-country trip, I've enjoyed reading the travel journals on Crazy Guy On A Bike (where Moni kept her journal). I've followed many journals of adults travelling by bike throughout the world and at some point I started coming across journals that involved children travelling.

Sometimes I am just shocked. I just read a journal from a couple that took their 7-month old through South Vietnam, going through some very primitive and remote regions, sometimes staying in cockroach and vermin infested accomodations, towing the baby through crazy traffic, allowing the locals to handle the baby freely, accepting rides from strangers,etc.

Another family went across the US with a 12, 10, 8 and 7 year old and the mother said upfront they would stop the tour if they had to due to the kids not being able to handle it. Well the 12 year old developed breathing and fatigue problems and they kept going and going until finally total strangers who were reading the journal offered to help. The strangers drove 8 hours each way to drop the girl off with her grandparents (who were the family's ultimate destination) halfway between Michigan and NY. Thank God - I felt like slapping that mother every day she made that girl get on the bike again.

There is another family that sold everything they own and they bike around the world with two boys, 13 and 11. I've been following them through Mexico, Peru, Brazil, etc. It's fascinating but it scares me so much. I can't imagine having the guts to travel in remote regions with my children like that, or worse, along busy foreign rodes.

I certainly see the value in giving these children a sense of adventure, showing them how the rest of the world lives, etc. but I could just never do it myself.

Is this something you wish you had done or something you'd like to do with your young children?

Comments (16)