SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
booberry85

Pierogies!

booberry85
13 years ago

Just how do you spell this word? It seems that every time I've seen it, it's spelled a different way (including Varenyky!)! My family has always spelled it pierogi.

Of course what would one of my threads be without shared recipes! So please post your favorite. Here's the one that my family uses:

Pierogies

I think there are as many different spellings as there are variations to pierogies. This recipe is for potato and cheese pierogies. This makes lots (70 pierogies?).

Ingredients

1 egg, beaten

3 cups flour

Water

5-6 potatoes (Yukon Gold work well)

1/2 lb cheese (I like American, traditionally Farmer's cheese or cottage cheese was use)

2 tablespoons butter

3-4 tablespoons milk

Peel the potatoes and cut into equal size chunks. Put in a pan and cover with water. Bring to a boil and boil gently for 20 minutes or until tender when pierced with a fork. Drain and return to the pot. Add milk, butter and cheese and start mashing with a potato masher. Mash until free of lumps.

In a separate container, mix one egg, 3 cups of flour an enough water to make a dough. Do not overwork dough or you will get tough pierogies.

Roll dough to 1/16 of an inch (as thin as you can get the dough without ripping it). Cut into 3-4 inch circles. In the center of the circle, place a heaping teaspoon of potato filling. Moisten the edge of half the circle. Fold the dough in half over the moisten edge and pinch to seal (you can also crimp edges with a fork).

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Drop about 5 pierogies into the boiling water (careful not to have edges tough or the pierogies will become glued together. Cover and boil for 5 minutes or until they float. Remove pierogies with a slotted spoon an put in a large bowl. Pat with butter.

Continue procedure until the dough is tough to work.

Alternate fillings

Blueberry Filling

6 cups fresh blueberries

2 tablespoons sugar

Mix fruit and sugar. Fill pierogies immediately before juice is drawn out of fruit.

Cherry Filling

6 cups pitted tart cherries

2 tablespoons sugar

Mix fruit and sugar. Fill pierogies immediately before juice is drawn out of fruit.

Meat Filling

1 1/2 lbs ground cooked pork or beef

2 tablespoons butter

1 medium chopped onion

2 eggs, beaten

Salt and pepper to taste

Melt butter in a large skillet. Add onion and saute until tender. Stir in egg and cooked meat. Saute over medium heat about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Let cool before filling pierogies.

Fresh Mushroom and Onion Filling

1/4 cup butter

3 lbs fresh mushrooms, diced

2 medium onions, diced

1/3 cup bread crumbs

Salt and pepper to taste

Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet. A mushrooms; saute over low heat until tender. Place sauted mushrooms in a medium bowl. Melt remaining butter in the skillet. Add onions; saute over medium heat until tender. Let cool. Stir in bread crumbs. Stir mixture into sauted mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper.

Hints, tips tricks an how to cheat

For the fruit filled pierogies, I like to add a little sugar to sour cream and top the pierogies with it.

Comments (12)