SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rt01

Carrier Infinity Compatibility

11 years ago

I received two quotes with some contradictory information and when I called Carrier, they were not able to assist:
I am looking to install an efficient system (Furnace and A/C) in a 1,700 sq. ft house that has current ductwork in the NorthEast (New York) area. I'm not certain of the current size of the system, but believe it's 2.5 tons.
One Installer suggested an Infinity Greenspeed hybrid system. Infinity 96 Furnace (59tn6a100v24) with a Greenspeed 25vna048 heat pump.
3.0 ton

Second Installer said that I will require 3.5 tons because of the size of the family room with high ceilings (was an addition in the past and system wasn't upgraded). However, he said that the Infinity system will require all new ductwork for 4.5 tons. Otherwise, it will create static pressure as my ductwork can't handle the infinity system. However, he said that the Performance system will work just fine as it's not as powerful and only difference is modulating vs. 2 speed (or specifically, he suggested the Bryant 9500 series as he said it's the same as Carrier but cheaper). He also suggested that the greenspeed is not more efficient for the Northeast, especially since i have Natural Gas as the Furnace will most likely need to turn on to keep up with the heat requirement.

I am totally confused. Is the second installer accurate in his assessment?

Thanks

Comments (6)