SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maybee_gw

Spin off of sjarz's Reminisce post....

maybee_gw
15 years ago

A group of us all went clear through school together from K - 12 grade. It was a small school and there were twenty one students in our class...about half of us went the whole distance together. We have a group e-mail system going...sort of a chain letter thing with those of us who have computers...we graduated in 1957, so some of us haven't gotten into the world of computers, but ten of us are in our little chain e-mail group. One man wrote that he still had his childhood sled...darn I wish I had something like that. What I "do" have is this little scatter pin pictured below. My mother would get rid of things as soon as we were done with them. I remember setting and looking and admiring this little scatter pin....then it was gone. My grandmother gave me this pin...she bought the neatest gifts. I wish she was still around so that I could tell her that...I don't think I ever got around to telling her how I felt about her gifts. Anyway, one time I was visiting a cousin and she brought out her jewelry box she had when she was very young. There was that scatter pin in her jewelry box. She had brought out the box with the stipulation that we were to just look at it and not "want" anything from it. So..that day, I looked and looked, but didn't say a word about that little pin. I "wanted" it badly, but didn't say anything. I knew it didn't mean anything to her except it was in her old jewelry box. So..time when on and Christmas rolled around. I got up my nerve and told her that there was only one thing I wanted for Christmas, and that if she didn't want to give it to me, that it would be all right. Well, she gave me that pin for Christmas that year. I have it setting on my bookcase where I can look over and see it... I can remember just setting and holding this little pin and admiring it...I don't think I ever wore it, though. I don't remember ever having a sled, but I must have had one..."all" of us had sleds, didn't we? I have all of our kids' sleds (wooden with metal runners) down in the barn. When the Amish contractors were fixing the roof of our barn, they were in and out of the barn. One of them asked Dwain if he would sell those sleds. Dwain told them that he was sure that his wife wouldn't part with them, and he was right on that one, but I don't have anything like that that "I" had when growing up. Do any of your have anything left from when you were growing up?

Comments (7)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!