SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Are you a 'list' person?

Oakley
12 years ago

Are you as OCD about making lists as much as I am? I'm so bad about writing memo's to myself I take it as far as sending myself emails with the certain day of the week when I have something important to do!

And because of my obsession, my poor coffee table is messy, no matter how organized I try to keep it.

The up side is I receive a lot of girlie note pads and stuff for Christmas!

My favorite at the moment are paper mouse pads. They are fantastic if you jot things down while online.

I also have a stack of various notepads and sticky notes in different sizes here on my desk, the kitchen, the desk in the LR, and my coffee table where I do most of my business like paying bills, sending out cards, etc.

Now I have to jot down on my paper mouse pad, "List" to remind me to come back to this topic. lol

Comments (33)

• blfenton
    12 years ago

Oh yes. I write down lists for everything - what I'm doing, what I have to do, what my kids have to do (and they're 22 and 24 so maybe I should drop that one). I use post-it-notes and bought a new stack today.
    I also write down which threads I have commented on so that I can go back to them - but I'm techno challenged so I use paper and pen for everything.
    Note to self - learn how to use computer for keeping track of my lists.
    My most favourite part of keeping lists is crossing things off as they're done.

• maire_cate
    12 years ago

Another list maker here - usually I jot things down in a steno pad that I keep on my desk. But I do have a post it in the bathroom vanity for those 'ideas' that pop into my head while getting dressed in the morning. And of course there's a post it in my car console too. When I leave the bathroom or my car I just bring the paper with me to add to my master list. And yes the best part is crossing things off.

My DD has inherited the 'list' gene and keeps a little notebook in her purse.

• Related Discussions

Missing Persons List........ Have you heard from them?

Q

Comments (16)
    I'm still here too! lol. I just haven't had the time i wish i had to check in as often as i would like. When i got back from El Salvador, I had a week to relax before the beginning of the fall semester. Then after two weeks of school, I lost my doggie to an infection in the spinal chord :( and that was really hard on me. I didn't tend the yard for over about months(the grass was halfway up my calves, weeds were growing rampant, hedges were way out of shape... I finally gathered myself and am now spending time bringing the yard back from neglect on the weekends. I promise i will be here more often.
    ...See More

Is Any Art You Own, Personally Signed to YOU?

Q

Comments (18)
    Me too! Before our house fire, most of our artwork was original from my mother-in-law, or other local artist. A few were personally signed. We lost most of the artwork, but have been fortunate that relatives have given us their art work from MIL. One of our biggest losses was a personally signed P. Buckley Moss. It was one of her first works, and a low print count. Long since retired. It was personally signed to my MIL on the back of the painting. Since the fire, we have been collected modest artwork, some original (mostly oils), some just prints. None have been personally signed, with the exception of another Buckley Moss, called The Sentry. It looks over us. See the print through the mirror. Though it doesn't look it, the size is 33 X 48. Really quite pretty. I love it because we have geese flying over our house two to three times a day. I feel like they are all looking out for our new house, and bring good luck. The signature is on the glass, just below the print edge.
    ...See More

Trade list / wish list/ giveaway list, for Raleigh fall swap 2018

Q

Comments (717)
    They are supposed to be open tomorrow at their old retail location, but if you plan to go, call first because of the low temperatures (919) 854-9892. On Wednesday they begin the final move of their retail operation 1/2 mile down Campbell Rd to the current wholesale location. There are many, many flats of older pansies and violas left for free.
    ...See More

A VERY personalized home listing!

Q

Comments (36)
    It's curious that they are selling everything as a package. I wonder if that was stipulated in a will... I think with the ease of access to online auction sites, all the contents could be sold piecemeal and there would be a much better chance of selling the house. I mean, there must be a market for white grand pianos. And there are some lovely things that would be stunning as the lone focal point in a beautifully appointed room. But taken as a whole, I don't know who would be willing to take it on. However the media coverage indicates that it is a local icon, so maybe they are hoping that someone will want to preserve it as a museum?
    ...See More
  • moonshadow
    12 years ago

Lists rule my life, can't function without them. Getting a blackberry was the best thing this OCD list maker ever did, saved tons 'o paper plus I was starting to lose my lists :) I just have to make sure to sync it to my PC or google sync, in case I ever lose the berry. And with google sync then I'll get an email pushed to my phone reminding me of today's agenda. There's a task manage app I bought, SlickTasks, that's my backbone list making tool. It has either Delete option or ticking a task off as completed in a % range. Not quite as gratifying as crossing off a post-it list, but close.

• DLM2000-GW
    12 years ago

I'm known as the Post-It Gal ! Sometimes I have so many stuck to the shelf above my kitchen desk it looks like a semaphore message system!! Like maire cate I keep pads in my car, on my nightstand, by my computers, and a small notebook in my purse.

I've tried keeping lists on my computer and in fact have a an app on my igoogle home page called To-Do. I use it - sort of - but don't keep it anywhere near as current or comprehensive as my paper lists. It allows you to *line through* completed tasks but still doesn't feel as convenient as a paper list to me.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh yes, I love crossing items off the list and then throwing it away!

When you make your grocery list, do you organize items per aisle? I have to or I'll go nuts! I also cross items off the list while I'm shopping. :)

I've been buying a few Christmas gifts lately and I've already made my gift list per name in a little notebook. I check the items I've ordered, then put a slash through it when the item comes in.

I finally bought a pocket tablet for my purse with my initial on it. I love all the inexpensive stationary out there now, it makes list making fun!

But I always stick to the old fashioned post it's because they're the best at sticking. Perfectionist here!

Pet Peeve alert! I get angry when my dh is on the phone and writes something down on MY list when there are tons of blank pagess under my page! I have gotten onto him many times about this. lol

• natal
    12 years ago

Love the Stickies (virtual Post-Its) on my Mac's desktop. I line through when I complete something, then delete the note when I'm done. Still keep a few paper running lists in the hutch drawer, but these are something I see every time I sit down at the computer.

• tinam61
    12 years ago

I write some lists but not lists for everything. Really, I do more notes than lists. I'm one who hates having everything planned out and for me - too many lists is too planned.

I have a small dayplanner type thing that I keep notes, dates, etc. in. I use the list ap on my Iphone and another ap for apts. or dates I need to remember. That and my home calendar are a big help to me.

I'm a bit more controlled with lists at work, but I'm not a cross-offer. I jot down a few grocery store items, but not an actual list and it's certainly not organized to the store.

• yogacat
    12 years ago

Crossing items off a handwritten list is sooo satisfying. I used to even re-write lists to reorganize them. Completely nuts! Now I use an Excel workbook for all of my lists except the notebook in my purse. That way I can keep many kinds of lists together but separate. Easy to reorganize if I need to. I use the highlighter tool for completed tasks. Not as satisfying as drawing that line through a task on paper, but it's more efficient.

I plan to get an iPhone 5 when they are available, so I'm sure that will change the tools I use, but I'd be lost without my lists.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh yes, I also keep a pad and pen next to the bed!

Yogacat, I also re-write my list especially if I have a lot of things to do.

Below is a link to a To Do notepad I received for Christmas. I love it and it's great to organize your days with at a glance.

Tina, I have a day planner also, but I need to see all the days at once so I can plan my day's. I leave it out on the coffee table using the calendar part, where I have Dr. appts. and birthdays recorded, or places I need to be.

Here is a link that might be useful: To Do Pad

• natal
    12 years ago

Tina, having a grocery list organized by aisle is such a time-saver. Dh has even picked up on that, so when he adds something to the list he tries to put it in the right spot. ;)

• Sueb20
    12 years ago

So glad I'm not the only one! I have a datebook that I keep on my desk where I write down everything. Then, either the night before or first thing in the morning, I make my "kitchen counter to-do list" starting with whatever is on the datebook but then adding other things, like "get milk." I know I can do all this electronically, but I'm old school.

This week has been absolutely crazy with back to school, a new dog, etc. So I made a mani/pedi appt for late Friday afternoon when I knew my kids would all be occupied. Well, I put the appt on my calendar but didn't put it on the to-do list and guess what? Two hours after my scheduled appointment, I was sitting in my house and happened to look down at my nails and realized I'd completely forgotten about my appointment! Ack. I was so embaraased and also bummed out that I miss my little pampering opportunity.

I also keep a notepad and pen in our master bathroom, because I get lots of ideas while blow drying my hair sometimes!

Sometimes I email myself too, oakley. I have even called my house from my cell while I'm out, to leave a message on the machine to remind myself about something.

• hhireno
    12 years ago

Yes, I'm a list maker. All sorts of lists or notes for all sorts of reasons. Mostly on paper, little slips, full pages, in notebooks, backs of envelopes, a few templates in my computer.

I print out a list for packing. It lists toiletries and electronic cords and odds & ends that can be overlooked when I'm packing for trips.

I keep a list of clothes I leave here in the HHI condo so I can remind myself what additional clothes I do & don't need to pack from home.

I make my grocery store list in the order I shop.

Next to the computer I keep a list of people I need to email. Too often I start with one email, get sidetracked by something (like this site), and then forget to get back to my email. There was a saying along the lines of nothing inspires a fresh thought like sealing an envelope. In this day & age, nothing inspires a fresh thought like shutting all the windows & signing out.

I keep a list of books I want to read in my library book bag.

This list could go on but you get the idea. I'm a list person and it appears I've found my tribe here.

• teacats
    12 years ago

Another list maker here too!

And yes -- it is VERY satisfying to cross off items from the list!

And yes -- I also make packing lists for trips!

• moonshadow
    12 years ago

Forgot about grocery and packing lists. Grocery lists by aisle/dept are a huge time saver, especially if DH is running to pick up a few things. I made a master packing list (covering 3 seasons) and when I travel, just cross off what's not seasonal and pack from there. Huge time saver.

• forhgtv
    12 years ago

I keep notebooks and Post-its at my desks. Notebooks are great to record in because the paper stays attached. Post-its are great for reminders and to-do or shopping lists.

I have Omnilist on my iPod, but it's easier to write things down to me than to type them on that little keyboard. Also, when I write, I can write the words large enough that I don't have to drag out my reading glasses to see my list. Omnilist is good for repetitive purchases like the health food store list or the grocery list because I can make the list one time and then just check the boxes of what I need to purchase.

I have a separate notebook for gifts because I keep my eyes open all year long for gifts rather than trying to buy them all at once. I include the place where I've stored the gift on my list, too, because sometimes I forget where I've stashed something.

• liriodendron
    12 years ago

Life-long lister here.

Lists for house, barns, garden, days, weeks, months, years, DH's Honey-DO list, "to get done before our 25th anniversary at this house" list.

Gift lists, linen lists, what to can next year lists, freezer content lists, list of all the things we could grow here if the food supply is permanently disrupted, list of our many 1000's of books (yeah, LibraryThing!), lists of what stuff we inherited from each side so it can go back to right one (no kids here), plant lists, tomato varieties that I have tried and liked over the years, flatware lists, list of birds and mammals seeen on our farm.

And (since I am TKO) list of every single item in my kitchen (for storage planning purposes, of course.)

At night if I can't sleep, I write lists.

I must come by it naturally. Years ago when my Mother died suddenly on her desk I found her lists: for the following week, to-do before winter, Christmas presents for daughters and grands, writing proposals to submit, major house repairs to get done. For a few dazed months afterward I just adopted her lists and crossed off what I could get done. Then I went back to my own.

I use spiral bound notebooks and write actual to do lists from front to back and write lists of things, ideas, speculative projects from back to front. When the written-on pages meet, I start another notebook.

L.

• tinam61
    12 years ago

Glad it works for you Natal. It's just not how I shop. Not to worry, there must be a method to my madness, I can do my grocery shopping pretty quick.

Moon - question for you. I sometimes make up lists to travel, but I'm curious how you do the master lists? It's not often that I take the same thing on different trips. Or do you just have a list of certain items you need (i.e. 4 pair pants, 3 pair shorts, 1 bathing suit, etc.)? Now I do my packing early - will lay all clothing out on guest bed about a week in advance, but have never really listed item by item. Taking a couple of trips in October - my problem is that when our pup travels with us - the things I need for her! LOL As bad as traveling with a child.

Believe it or not, I am a pretty organized person, just not as list oriented as many others here.

tina

• natal
    12 years ago

Tina, what can I say ... it doesn't surprise me? ;)

• golddust
    12 years ago

Yes!! I love my iPhone because I've stopped writing things down anywhere else. Love lists because it frees up memory in my brain.

• blfenton
    12 years ago

I also rewrite lists if they get out of order and have to be reorganized. I don't list my grocery list by order of shopping but I do cross the stuff off as it goes in the cart. I just assumed everyone did that. (But now that I reflect back on the other shoppers maybe not) However, Packing lists are done by category.

My 24 year old DS is planning a vacation trip to South America and is doing the trip with a friend. He was showing his friend the lists that he was making about what they had to do before they left - visas, shots, tickets etc. Oh, it brought tears to my eyes (not quite but I think most here would get this).

• User
    12 years ago

Not much beyond a grocery list. At times I'm guilty of writing something on my hand. I try and make a point to put it on paper and in my pocket though.

DH is sometimes a list maker and then they end up throughout the house.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Okay fellow list makers, when it's time to buy new tablets, notebooks, etc., is it a secret thrill to do so because of all the choices out there? Or is it just me? lol

• blfenton
    12 years ago

I love wandering through stationary stores - I have a little lime green stapler to go with my brightly coloured post-it-notes (I don't staple post-it-notes but they look nice together) and I have a tablet with flowers along the top that match the post-it-notes. Heaven help anyone who takes "my" eraser but I don't care what pen or pencil I use - although the pencil has to be an HB.

Until this thread I never thought of this as being weird, just as being organized, perhaps I'm deluding myself. Naaa - there are enough of us here that this isn't weird.

• liriodendron
    12 years ago

Oakley,

Of course! I get a special thrill at this time of year because every store sells cheap, cheap, cheap spiral notebooks for back to school. All in glorious colors and rarely cost more than 25-35 cents each! None too fat that I get bored with them before filling them. I buy stacks of them. Nothing makes me feel that I can handle the days ahead like a brand new notebook that sort of creaks the first time you open it. No hint of the oppression of too many uncompleted projects, too little time or money or energy or indecision about where to start.

The starting point is obviously on the first page!

I never toss a significant list in the notebooks (toss only little ones like a few things needed from the grocery store type lists -those are invariably scribbled on empty envelopes and then recycled).

I think my lists in the spiral books are sort like daytimers for the past (stuff crossed off and dated) or the future, to do items. I write my excuses for not doing things in too, sometimes, i.e. Hurricane Irene blew in or had to go ER because cat bit me, etc., so they sort of function as a diary, too.

I used the same notebooks for taking notes (and writing lists of intended questions beforehand) when I went with my DH to his zillions of medical appointments. Now that he is better, the books will revert to being more about my own goals and ideas.

L.

• hhireno
    12 years ago

liriodendron,
    When my DH was sick, I too kept the same notebook with all the notes from doctor's visits, hospitalizations, medication info, our questions, everything that was happening.

Thankfully, life has returned to normal and I grabbed the wrong notebook when we went to see his doctor last month. We get there and I open it to start taking notes and was surprised to see it was the wrong notebook & folder! It actually felt great that the notebook was no longer such an integral part of our life that I could grab the wrong one. I took notes on another piece of paper and added it to the notebook when we returned home.

• stinky-gardener
    12 years ago

I so admire all you mavens of organization, but honest answer for me: not a list in sight! Have tried to make lists, but the act of list-making stresses me out. I'm afraid I'll forget to put something on the list, so I just cop out entirely!

• hhireno
    12 years ago

I so admire all you mavens of organization

Actually, it's mostly the opposite reason I need lists. I am not terribly organized and having a list helps me remember what I should be doing, what I need, what I keep forgetting to do.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The nice thing about keeping lists is it's gotten me into old fashioned stationery and very cute girlie notepads.

Below is a link I found years ago and I order from them about once a year. Very inexpensive!

Now I've branched out and I order my greeting cards (birthday, Christmas, etc) online, where I can buy single cards that you can't find in a regular store.

It makes me feel feminine, if that makes sense.

Here is a link that might be useful: Notepads galore!

• stinky-gardener
    12 years ago

Oakley, I think lovely notepads & stationary are wonderful items to put to use. It is refreshing, especially in this e-mail age, to receive a handwritten note scribbled on so much as a yellow post-it! To receive (or send) something really pretty in the mail is a truly delightful treat.

I can also see how writing notes to yourself on beautiful stationary would be a nice practice. It does have a more feminine, graceful flair than just jotting down thoughts on legal pads & the back of receipts!

My sister gave me a tiny notepad that features gilded peacocks! It's beautiful. I like just seeing it on my desk...I should use it though!

• moonshadow
    12 years ago

Moon - question for you. I sometimes make up lists to travel, but I'm curious how you do the master lists? It's not often that I take the same thing on different trips. Or do you just have a list of certain items you need (i.e. 4 pair pants, 3 pair shorts, 1 bathing suit, etc.)? Now I do my packing early - will lay all clothing out on guest bed about a week in advance, but have never really listed item by item. Taking a couple of trips in October - my problem is that when our pup travels with us - the things I need for her! LOL As bad as traveling with a child.

I'd be lost without my travel list. One time making a good list and tweak as needed and the odds of forgetting something are slim to none and packing goes much faster. I take my pup too. Well, one of them, if I'm going back home to the country. There's even a section for him on my list. :) I found my packing list online, it was a Microsoft Office template from years ago and I tweaked it. I got specific with things like my cosmetic bag. I mentally went through my daily before/during/after shower routine and put it on the list. If it's hunting season my list is different than spring. It's in Excel format, and I don't see it at the Microsoft template site. I'll just try to email it to you, maybe you can tweak it to suit your needs.

• moonshadow
    12 years ago

Tina can you click my ID and send me an email? I can't send you an attachment through GW. (If you want to see the list.)

• tinam61
    12 years ago

Moon - just saw this! Will do. Thanks!!

• Oakley
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Stinky, since cute notepads aren't expensive (there are so many on the Net to choose from!) I buy a few pads at a time so that way I'll use them.

I think I became this way because I raised all boys. lol. It's like I missed out on girlie stuff for so long because of being surrounded by testerone, so now I'm treating myself.

What's great is my DIL comes from a fantastic family and we always get together. We all send cards to each other now, the "old fashioned" one's.

Remember when I do the topics at Christmas about how I miss old-fashioned greeting cards because everyone is now sending picture cards? I still feel the same way. :(