SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
slfrance

Help needed-Arizona air conditioning replacement

sharonlf
16 years ago

The past few years we have been having problems with our current roof top combination unit. Besides needing frequent repairs it is not very energy efficient and is very noisy, so I have started getting estimates for a replacement unit. We live in Lake Havasu City, Arizona where it is always over 100 for several months....usually over 110 and sometimes over 120. Our house has approximately 2000 square feet and is one story. Our attic is well insulated.

Company number one gave me a price of $8425.72 for a 5 ton Trane XL16C. This price includes tax, installation, disposal, crane, etc. They gave me this price after only looking at our present unit and pricing out the same size.

Company number two gave me a price of $8408.89, including everrthing, for the same unit except that they priced out a four ton unit. They also have me a price for a Trane XL14C (4 ton also) for $6883.51. They did a complete load calculation, measured the house, checked the attic, checked all of the windows and air vents in the house etc.

Company three made a point of telling me that the Tranes generally run about 20% more than other brands. He then gave me estimates of $22,678.00 and $13,588.00. He had no names or modlel numbers listed but after I stopped choking and asked he said that they were a Lennox 15GCSX and a Lennox 13GCSX, both 5 ton. I promptly showed him the door.

I am leaning toward company number two because they were very thorough and answered all of my questions. My concern is about the size of the unit since they priced out a four ton, which the other companies priced out a 5 ton and that is what we have now. I am also wondering about the Trane XL14C and how that one would work for us. Is there a whole lot of difference between the two?

Comments (3)