SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dotmom_gw

Terms that annoy me.......

dotmom
14 years ago

There are a few terms that so annoy me....."If I can do it, you can do it" and "That's what I'm talking about", when they were not talking about the subject at all. another word that irritates me is when trying to sell something, the word..Only... is put in front of a ridiculous price for some product. Any terms or words set your teeth on edge??? Dottie

Comments (141)

• bearcat_va
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Another one that drives me crazy (along with using "seen" incorrectly):

In fact.....

That's neither here nor there.

• marlingardener
    14 years ago

Joyful,
    As usual you have hit the nail on the head (hope that isn't an annoying term). When we moved to Texas our neighbors made fun of the way I spoke. Not the accent, but the words I used amused them. "We ain't fancy like y'all" was their favorite refrain. Unfortunately their daughters picked up their parents' speech patterns and sounded ignorant and uncouth.
    Thanks to the original poster for starting this conversation, which has been enlightening and amusing!

• Related Discussions

Anyone besides me annoyed by...

Q

Comments (17)
    How strange! I looked at my original post this morning to happily find others are as annoyed as I, and discovered that the Forum Masters had added a "link" to the word "y-a-r-d" in my post complaining about them adding links!! Didn't have time to respond then but checked again this evening and the link is mysteriously gone! Yippee! Maybe the powers-that-be have read about our discontent and decided it wasn't such a great idea. Could it be true? If so - Thank You from all of us!! I agree with Jazzbone - nothing could keep me from visiting or enjoying you all and your wonderful work and ideas either! I have a great pop-up-blocker. When I figure out what it is and where it came from I will let you know. It gives you the option of accepting pop-ups at certain sites but blocks all if you wish. Have to go play in concrete now! Made my first 2-part mother mold (for a silicone caulk mold I made Thanks to Nofu) and can't wait to try it out. It was WAY easier than I had anticipated. Whew! Let me know if anyone would like instructions. I was so NOT looking forward to making a mother mold and was slightly intimidated by the process - 'til I figured it out. E-Z! Bucky
    ...See More

Is the term 'country dressing' a regional term?

Q

Comments (14)
    Waaay back, when I was a kid, Mom always made the salad dressing. I think she used Miracle Whip or a MW like 'salad dressing' product. She would thin the MW with milk, add a bit of sugar, a bit of vinegar & some black pepper. This was an all-purpose dressing used for cole slaw and combination lettuce salads. One of my favorite treats way going to Grandma's in the summer when she would serve fresh home grown tomatoes sliced with a small dollop of Miracle Whip. I suspect this of something similar is what is referred to as 'Country Dressing'. I'm not sure what commercial salad dressings were available since we never used them. I suspect a limited selection like probably French and Thousand Island. I remember when Green Goddess was intro'd and when French Onion dip came on the scene. Another thing I remember from helping to compose the grocery list was that when we needed mayonnaise, that went on the list as 'mayo'. When we needed the Miracle Whip stuff, it went on the list as 'salad dressing'. Mom always bought a Miracle Whip equivalent...Griffin's as I recall was the regional brand she bought generally. I grew up mostly in Oklahoma but Mom was from Missouri, the Ozarks area. She had lived in southern California as a kid, one of the Depression era migration. And we lived in Colorado & northern California for a time as well. I remember that we were living in CA when I first encountered French Onion Dip, the orig. version made with sour cream & Lipton's dry soup mix. Probably all these different exposures had some influence in how Mom cooked. Awfully long winded response & not sure that it's much help albeit a nice little stroll down Memory Lane at least, for moi!
    ...See More

DH annoys the living crap outta me!

Q

Comments (35)
    I'm so sorry Scarlett. I think perhaps he is on the wrong drug cocktail. Unfortunately with psych meds it really is trial and error finding the right combo that works. And it is hard trying several different times to get it right and then waiting 4-6 weeks to start seeing changes from the meds. Don't give up, my heart goes out to you. From what I've read on this post my gut is telling me, OCD-BiPolar I'm not so sure?It's very easy to misdiagnose the creative artistic personality-The creative mind truly works and views the world differently. I would lean more toward clinical depression/ocd, but those are just my thoughts..Are you comfortable with the psychiatrist he is seeing? Please don't be offended by my asking but does schizophrenia run in his family tree at all? It often manifests in early adulthood. Does he have hallucinations at all? These are questions I would ask your/his mental health care provider..early diagnosis is best of course. I feel his sadness and your worry/frustration.(((Big hugs))) ~Cat
    ...See More

match.com is annoying me :o(

Q

Comments (8)
    I know what you mean. I get it too. Tried going to ad feedback (small letters) right under the ad. Filled it out and one question was "Was this ad offensive?" I checked yes. It went away for awhile, came back, and fill out mini ad feedback again. Have done that several times. Hope someday they read the feedback
    ...See More
  • debo_2006
    14 years ago

Awesome

I got ya

My bad

You guy's...(I hear celebrities say this a lot)

Love ya rather than I love you

The usual: "like"; "amazing", "you know what I mean"

"The funny thing is"....usually it's not even funny

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    14 years ago

I had an aunt and uncle that said "youse"! They were from the East St. Louis area. I don't say it, but then I am not from there. So maybe it is a regional thing. We used to kid my cousin from the same area as she would say "fark" for fork.
    I remember growing up one time either my sister or I said the word guys, oh, my Mother had a fit! We never again said it, thinking it was swear word! Most things don't really bother me the way people talk.

Sue

• joann23456
    14 years ago

Oh, I forgot to add the one I hate the most - using "I" when it should be "me". I think this stems from grade school, where we all learned that it was incorrect to say, "Me and Bill went to the store." Unfortunately, many of us seem to have concluded that it's never correct to say, "Bill and me," which leads to things like, "Carol and Fred decided to come to the movie with Bill and I." It's me. Me. ME ME ME ME!!!! (Would you say, "Carol and Fred decided to come to the movie with I?"!!!)

• pris
    14 years ago

Looks like the consensus is no one likes "youse guys". I think what's happened in the last 40+ years is sayings like this that were regional have been spread over the country by a more mobile society. Thirty or forty years ago people pretty much stayed close to home. I associate this particular expression with New Jersey but can see that it has spread west as far as California and all points in between. I imagine this is true for most expressions associated with a region of the U.S.

• dotmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

WOW !!! When I posted this, i didn't realize so many had terms and words that bothered them. I see my self in many of your dislikes, so let me say, now, I have used a lot of the irritating words and phrases in my posts in the past and will probably use them again, so let me apologize right now. A lot of these terms and words re regional. Here is Minnesota, some fracture the English language (Think the movie Fargo) I had a customer who always said, "Hello, ah, Dottie, there." and I find myself saying You betcha. My Grandma who was from Germany, but spoke English had a different way to express herself. One I remember was, Come from under the table out. Dottie

• chisue
    14 years ago

joann23456 -- Hee-hee! "Impacted" will always conjure up for me the time my elderly grandmother broke her hip and became...er...impacted. (Not the sort of thing prune juice was able to alter.)

Radio and TV have spread many a strange speech pattern far and wide. I remember when newscasters were told to strive for 'Midwestern' accents and useage.

This has provided a great warm-up for me. DH and I must be the only people in TV-land who never saw "The Sopranos". He brought the DVD - Part I home from the library yesterday. Should I be afraid he will begin to embrace his 'Italian Side'? (He grew up not knowing his birth father was Italian. Blond/blue, but yes, Italian.)

• kacram
    14 years ago

journey!

• sue_va
    14 years ago

We can't bypass the story attributed to Winston Churchill concerning prepositions.

There are several versions of it, but (I will not say basically) this is one.

An editor corrected a sentence in something Churchill wrote which ended with a preposition.

Churchill's reply was: ""This is the sort of English up with which I will not put."

Sue

• Deb_from_Pa
    14 years ago

I dont like it when people say, or write...IDEAL for IDEA... example......"I have a great ideal for crafts.....
    NOT!!!!!!! 2 totally different words....

• Cherryfizz
    14 years ago

When my friend, who says it in every conversation says "to make a long story short" She may say it 10 times an hour in conversation. Saying that does not make her stories any more shorter in fact it just adds to it. Whenever I hear those words it is like someone scraping their fingernails on a blackboard to me. LOL Stop saying those words - they are meaningless!!!

Anne

• sjerin
    14 years ago

Going forward
    Purchase, instead of buy.

• Cherryfizz
    14 years ago

Cynic, I once answered the telephone and my Aunt on the other end said to me "we lost your Father" I laughed and said "where did you lose him" and also thinking how could you lose my Dad he was a big guy and always in control. My Aunt then told me he died suddenly. Well geez, tell me that he died not that you lost him. So whenever I hear the term "I lost .... " in relation to a person dying I always cringe a bit and think back to that day.

Anne

• soxxxx
    14 years ago

We forgot "absolutely." Some guests on talk shows have worn that out repeating it dozens of time in 30 minutes. Does answering "absolutely" make something more true than just saying "yes?" Can't they vary comments with "sure," "of coarse," "that's true?"

I need to quit coming back to this posting.

• teresava
    14 years ago

Indefinitely

No one else has mentioned this word, but for some reason it drives me crazy...I understand what it means but I cringe when I hear it used.

Also, one of our local news broadcasters uses the word "bucks" instead of "dollars". I wonder if they are trying to appeal to the grammatically incorrect out there! I won't say dumbing down since I don't like that term either. Seems like 20 years ago people who have been embarassed to use poor grammar on TV/radio/music but not now!

Cherryfizz-Sometimes when I want to be funny, or I know I've been rambling and my story is long, I say, To make a long story longer!

• cheryl_ok
    14 years ago

This is a great thread. So many mentioned gets on my nerves. One not mentioned that drives me crazy is "snap" just say $hit and be done with it!
    This might get on my nerves more then some of you, my grandson says it daily! I also really hate "sweet". My daughter says it all the time. Every comment is "sweet!"

• erica
    14 years ago

I didn't see this one up above:

"You know what I'm sayin'?"

If I knew what you were saying, you wouldn't have to say it;-)

• bluejeans4ever
    14 years ago

Gal! I don't know why, but when I hear gal, I think of a cow girl, like the one in Toy Story.

Sweet. I find myself saything sweet these days, which annoys me all the more. lol

A phrase that always bothers me is when someone is talking about the birthday of someone who has died. They'll say "It would have been Aunt Mildred's birthday, today."

I think that it will always be Aunt Mildred's birthday on that date. Just because she passed away :-) died doesn't mean she no longer has a Birth-day.

It's Aunt Mildred's birthday today. She was born 102 years ago and lived 98 years. Something like that sounds a little more respectful.

I hate, hate, HATE, "downsizing", "restructuring" "going lean". And the latest 'you're fired' phrase is "transformation". Oy. I think we've all had it up to here with hearing those words consistently over the past years!

Good thread!

BJ

• cheerful1_gw
    14 years ago

Definitely the "f" word.

"To be honest with you" - you should be honest all the time.

"You know what I'm sayin'" - I have an in-law that uses it all the time, and it makes me crazy.

"Gal" - my old boss used to say that all the time about his women employees.

You could go on and on with this thread....

• cherbo
    14 years ago

LOL, Cherryfizz. The day my brother-in-law died my sister-in-law came to tell us. I was on the front porch shaking my feather duster out. As she was walking up to the porch I gave her a questioning look because I could tell something was wrong. She say's "Russell's gone". Not quiet catching it I asked "what?" and she repeats "Russell is gone". I asked "Where did he go?" We both laugh about it now.

• susan_on
    14 years ago

Most of the above annoy me, some more than others, but none of them make me angry or generate any "passion" over them. I really do not like the "f" word. Our habit of using initials to refer to our relatives does not bother me though, but I think when someone is telling a story that involves lots of relative/spouses, etc, then it should all be spelled out.

One trend that annoys me is the tendency for agencies and individuals to make up words. In my job, for example, we are trained to confront/address barriers in clients to help them move forward. As of yesterday, we were told the new buzz word is "carefront", because it supposedly denotes compassion expressed while addressing sensitive issues. I think it's ridiculous, because I would have hoped it was understood that we do use compassion and sensitivity when dealing with these things.

• clubm
    14 years ago

Here's the deal.
    Sweet
    Totally
    It is what it is.
    Cool
    Just a few that annoy me. I'm sure there is more.

• phyllis__mn
    14 years ago

From a posting above somewhere!

"Where are you from?" of course ends with a preposition, but would sound a bit pretentious if asked, "From where are you?"

• matti5
    14 years ago

I hate it when someone refers to their spouse as "the wife" or "the husband". "I want to introduce you to the wife."

• raggiemom
    14 years ago

Lots of them bother me, but the worst is "at this point in my life". Don't know why, but I just cringe when I hear that one.

The worst at work is "we'll just park this for a while".

• Chi
    14 years ago

Bestest. It sounds like something a 3 year old would say before knowing better, and I know a LOT of adults who use it all the time.

That's really the only one that bothers me. :P

• chisue
    14 years ago

I've never heard, "We'll just park this for a while." That makes me think about chewing gum and 'parking' it somewhere -- on the bedpost overnight? LOL

• lydia1959
    14 years ago

Most terms don't annoy me.. unless my DH or DD is saying them a lot. DH started saying "my bad" a while back and I told him to quit. It sounded ridiculous coming from a 40+ year old man. DD used to say "awesome!" to everything, then it was "sweet!".

I actually like to hear a teenage boy say "Sweet!" as long as he isn't adding the f word used as an adjective in front of it. :-)

• debo_2006
    14 years ago

I hate when a parent (usually men) calls his/her son "son" instead of using his name. What's that all about anyway?

Example: Son, go wash your hands for dinner.

My feeling is, he was given a name for a reason...use it!

• susan_on
    14 years ago

The worst at work is "we'll just park this for a while".

That reminds me of work too. When we're in training, or in a meeting and someone asks a question there isn't an immediate answer to, they always say "we'll put that in the parking lot". I've never understood why they say that. Why don't they just tell us they will find out and let us know?

• cynic
    14 years ago

susan_on, I was just going to bring up the "parking lot"! That's usually going to be a marker board or a big tablet they use for notes and things during a meeting and they write at the top "Parking Lot" and they put things that they can't answer, or it'd take too long to go into at that moment or whatever the excuse to delay action. Sometimes if there's time at the end of a meeting, like there ever is, if they end it on time, they could address some of it then. This all started with some clown who wrote a book on how to have a more productive meeting. An old boss was telling me about it one day. It included things like have a printed agenda and follow it, but when you would have regular meetings, say monthly meetings on the first Wednesday or whatever, he suggested varying the starting time +15 minutes to see if people are reading the agenda and meeting notices. Also tell them to bring something different for each meeting. Something stupid, like a red pen or whatever. No purpose other than to get them to read the notices. To this day our company uses these things. I tend to ask what the parking rates are at this parking lot. It usually goes over like the Hindenburg with upper management.

Another annoyance includes people who are so afraid of the work "crap" that they spell it "carp". For crap's sake, what kind of crap is that crap? If it bugs you, try crapola, it's much smoother. Must be higher class crap. First class crap perhaps.

And yes, bestest is a laugh coming from a purported adult. I just saw a posting and looked for it to be followed by "fwend" in the WHOLE wide world. You know they're hung up on texting and probably tweeting too.

I always got a kick out of Norm Crosby and Archie Bunker on the way they'd butcher the grammar. I wind up using a lot of those phrases and WOW does it get some peoples' panties in a knot! Now whether that makes it go farther, who knows but I still fondly remember the commercial with "Catfood Hunter!" "Bulls-ear catnip!". Hilarious.

Oh and on the employee cutbacks the once popular "RIF" (reduction in force) isn't heard much lately. Didn't get canned, fired, laid-off or terminated, you were RIFed.

And Cherryfizz, that's exactly what I mean. Of course if someones "double-d" sized daughter was still dribbling blood, "died" might be a touch (oops, can I say that?) insensitive, but after a week or two or between others the eggshells should be toughened up on which to walk, eh?

A friend of mine called probably a month or two after my dad died and apologized. (Another one that gets me... I asked him later if he killed him and that went over like a Janet Jackson wardrobe malfunction at the censors' office) "Sorry your dad passed away" "What?" I just heard your dad passed on" I said "What do you mean? He's not dead" Then right when the stunned silence started to break I added "He's pining for the fjords!"

Maybe people could take a lesson from Monty Python, who proved there's plenty of options to the word "died" or "dead", including but not limited to
    -deceased
    -"resting"
    -tired and shagged out after a long squawk
    -is no more!
    -It has ceased to be!
    -It's expired
    -gone to meet its maker!
    -This is a late parrot!
    -It's a stiff!
    -Bereft of life
    -it rests in peace!
    -If you hadn't nailed him to the perch he would be pushing up daisies!
    -Its metabolical processes are of interest only to historians!
    -It's hopped the twig!
    -It's shuffled off this mortal coil!
    -It's run down the curtain and joined the choir invisible!
    -This.... is an EX-PARROT!

Or.... simply a corpse-in-a-box.

Wouldn't that be the cat's pajamas? Yo daddy-o...

And every time I hear someone say "yous guys" I simply push the end of my nose slightly sideways and say yeahhhhh, youuuuuus, guys....

• vannie
    14 years ago

I hate waiters or waitresses that come to our table and say "you guys." My husband IS a guy, but, hey, look. I'm not a "guy." It sounds so stupid.

The overuse and missuse of "amazing." As far as I'm concerned, very few things are amazing. The sun coming up in the east every morning, the miracle of conception and birth, a tiny seed producing a huge plant or tree, but people are not "amazing". Outstanding, maybe, but save amazing for something truly amazing.

There's a honky tonk not far from us that has a sign out front that says "live nude dancers." I wonder what dead ones are like. That's annoying.

• socks
    14 years ago

Anyone who has read book from the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency knows that a person who is dead is called "late." You missed that one, Cynic.

Cynic, I assume your friend said, "I'm sorry." It really isn't an apology, but the person is trying to express sympathy for the emotional pain you are suffering at the loss of a loved one. You know that!!! :-)

• shequit
    14 years ago

"You guys" have "said it all".....

• gadgets
    14 years ago

Cynic's post reminded me of the Roseanne show where Jackie had to call Auntie Barbara and tell her their dad had died. Cracks me up every time I hear it.

Shirley

Here is a link that might be useful: Jackie's phone call

• gazania_gw
    14 years ago

I have in my collection of clipped recipes one from Kraft that uses the word "unthawed" in the directions. Two recipes in tonights newspaper were using "unthawed" ingredients.
    I heard a home economist use the term while speaking on the radio. If the recipe directs me to "unthaw" the fruit before adding it to the batter...exactly what am I to do. Freeze it?

• soxxxx
    14 years ago

gazania:
    To me it sounds like the recipes call for frozen fruit (unthawed) as an ingredient and they would be used in the still frozen or slightly frozen state.

THAW - to become soft or melt
    UNTHAWED - still frozen

• socks
    14 years ago

Gadgets...that's a really good Roseanne segment. Funny, but a lot of reality there as well.

• gazania_gw
    14 years ago

Soxxxx, for starters, according to 3 dictionaries I checked there is no such word as 'unthaw'. Secondly in all 4 examples I mentioned these recipes are indeed using frozen fruit or vegetables that need to be thawed to complete the recipe. I did read that the directions to unthaw something is a term most used in the South when something sould be thawed. So that would make it "unfrozen"? LOL

• zeetera
    14 years ago

Gadgets, I haven't gone to the link but I remember that as one of the funniest segments of that show. That and the time that Jackie organized the plot to get Roseanne out of her bedroom when Dan left.

Even though at the time it wasn't amusing, the way some of you described how your heard about a death made me chuckle. Reminds me when a farmer named McDonald died and they wrote... Old McDonald bought the farm, EIEIO.

• petaloid
    14 years ago

Did anyone mention the unnecessary "at" and "to"?

In my opinion --

Question such as, "Where are you?" and "Where is my purse?" do not need "at" added at the end.

"Where are we going?" does not need "to" at the end.

• tobygirl
    14 years ago

My current biggest annoying term is "go ahead," two superfluous words used constantly by some cooks on Food Network and hosts on QVC. For instance, "I'm going to go ahead and add a teaspoon of salt." Or, "I'm going to go ahead and dice the onion now." Or, "You can go ahead and order two of these for the price of one!"

• sue_va
    14 years ago

I keep remembering more.

Inappropriate. . . if it is not right, it is wrong, so just say so.

Uncomfortable with (whatever) Too tight? Too warm? Too cold? How about saying "I don't like it"?

On the same page. . . no, I'm not reading a book.

Single Mom. . . is that supposed to get you extra Brownie points? Why not just say "My name is XXX and I have 2 children..."

You, your, you're . . .probably the most mistyped word on the Web.

And the lack of punctuation is so frustrating. A . or a , is so easy to add.

There is really no excuse for misspelled words, (sp?). Every browser has a spell check feature, I think.

Sue

• soxxxx
    14 years ago

Is there a way to spellcheck when replying to postings on KT? I sure need it.

• cynic
    14 years ago

I have spell-check in Opera that works in replies. Won't use any other browser for most things.

I liked Roseanne. Jackie was great.

There's a program called Tinyspell that works in most any program. I used it for a while but no need for it with Opera and the word processors having it built-in.

• soxxxx
    14 years ago

Sometimes I learn so much unexpectedly on KT posts.

My curiousity led me to google ONE LOOK DICTIONARTY re "unthaw."
    UNTHAW - listed as a verb in 8 dictionaries
    DETHAW - (which I had never heard) listed as a verb in 7.

I am from the South and I always "thaw" frozen foods. I suppose I will have to start "dethawing" so my friends will know what I mean.

• cynic
    14 years ago

Not really a "term" but accompanies them. People who feel a need for 13 (or however many) exclamation points on a sentence! It must be a stress reliever to pound away on that key. Every time I see it, I think to myself wouldn't TWELVE exclamation points have worked? Or possibly just ten? Did you really need thirteen? Would six suffice? Maybe two? or three? Or, Heaven forbid, ONE?

Perhaps it's an anger management issue since it's often accompanied by shouting and/or incoherent babbling. Maybe it's an IQ deficiency?

• chisue
    14 years ago

I have to own up to misspellings. I don't use spellcheck; just never did. (So please forgive my 'creative' spellings and 'typo's'. If you can't understand what I've written, call me on it and I'll reconsider the spellcheck! LOL)

I think there is a place for "Inappropriate". Somethings are not 'wrong', just wrong in a context.

I am tired of stories about the plights of single mothers and children of single mothers -- absent ANY information about the Partners/Fathers.

• Deb_from_Pa
    14 years ago

Downstate Pa people, york, gettysburg areas, and lots more.......use the word you's all the time! It is what it is......LOL
    I hate it when people say...if god brings you to it, he'll bring you thru it....I dont want to be brought to it if it isnt good.......LOL! Either way you are gonna get thru it..or die! LOL

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts