jyl_gw

Simple Meals That A Kid Can Make?

John Liu
13 years ago

Can I get suggestions for five dinner meals that are:

- inexpensive, very common ingredients

- healthy enough and would appeal to your average kid

- simple and quick preparation

- can be made with reasonable safety and success by a mature twelve year old (so, let's skip the deep frying)

- require no special equipment beyond a range, basic pots and pans, and maybe a crockpot?

No need for detailed recipes (if I can't figure out how to make it, with Ms. Crocker's help, it probably doesn't meet criteria #4), I'm more looking for suggestions.

Why: SWMBO is bringing her (late) niece's kids back here for next week, which happens to be their spring break. I thought I'd have the oldest girl cook dinners with me, and send her back with the recipes for what we make, that will fit on index cards. I really don't know what the childcare situation is going to be for them back home, but I imagine she may have to learn to cook rather earlier than otherwise. (If I judge that she's too scatterbrained to cook safely, then I'll can the idea.)

I'm thinking, for example, of something like "meatloaf" - though I'll let SWMBO handle that one, just so she can get a bit more practice before the smack-down :-)

Comments (18)