SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sooz_gw

Food biz ques / my website

sooz
14 years ago

I am really stuck and hope someone will be able to give me some direction. I'm trying to get liability insurance for my little "personal chef" business. I come to your home, buy the food, bring pots & pans, and then I clean, prepare and cook the food in your kitchen for your special event or small celebration.

Ideally working once a month for 1 client/25 guests maximum, I'd earn $7500.00 gross. I'm likely to earn much, much less. This is fine with me.

I have a Food Handlers card just because I thought it would be a good thing to have, and I just got my small business license last week.

State law requires each food facility (like a restaurant or assisted living facility, NOT A PRIVATE HOME) to have at least one owner/employee that has passed a state-approved food safety certification exam. This is not what I'd be doing. The state-approved ServSafe class is offered thru my local adult ed office--a two day review class covers the essential tasks that *managers* must know to keep food safe in their operation. Cost of class: $110.00.

Got two quotes from two different insurance companies for liability insurance. The underwriters didn't know quite how to categorize a Personal Chef, so they both called me a caterer, which I am NOT.

Insurance underwriter at one place says I have to have ServSafe--and the premium for the insurance is based on an income of $25K gross. Cost for insurance is close to $822.00. Coverage is included for damage to premises rented to me, but I am NOT renting! I am NOT a caterer! I do not have a commercial kitchen! Insurance underwriter at the other company is much the same.

Should I just ignore this insurance coverage entirely and try to have liability be on the client, and have this topic covered in my contract or what?

Here's a link to my website. I don't have the contact number on it yet, and it IS still a work in progress, but I'd appreciate your comments on how to improve it. Most of the photos were taken by me, of food I prepared.

Thanks again for any input about this insurance thing! I'm very frustrated!

Smiles,

Sooz

Here is a link that might be useful: My Website

Comments (13)