SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brit_n_rick

Whole House Fan Issue

brit_n_rick
13 years ago

We have recently purchased an older home, built in 1931. There is a belt-driven whole house fan in the attic that we would like to get working again. We do not know when the fan was installed or who made it - however, it is a very large whole house fan - 42" blades with 46" frame. Our home is only 1200 sq ft and from what we have found on the internet - a 42" fan is made for 3000 sq ft homes. The motor was made by Leeland Motors - 1/2 HP - 1725 RPM. However, we cannot find anything about this company or how to order a replacement motor. We have contacted a few companies about just ordering a replacement motor - specifically Triangle Whole House Fans out of Arkansas - but they have said that we need to know who made the fan so that the motor is correct for the pitch and size of the fan. We are tempted to just order one from Grainger. We can get a decent 1/2 HP for about $250.

Something very odd that I do not understand: The old owners mounted the fan going vertical and built a wooden shaft around it to the floor of the attic. Also - it appears as though the fan was mounted backwards. When you turn on the fan - the air is SUCKED IN from the gable vent and OUT into the house. Very gross!

What is the reason for mounting vertical and building a shaft? Because of the large size? ??? My husband said there might be a way to reverse fan direction and correct the air flow. Do you know anything about this? The old owners lived in this house for over 50 years. Surely - they did not live with a whole house fan going backwards! Our plan - to demolish the wooden shaft and mount the whole house fan going horizontal (as it is supposed to be).

MY QUESTION: Since this is such a large fan and our house is only 1200 sq ft - is there going to be too much air flow? We were going to get either a 2 or 3 speed motor and just run it on "low". The "low" CFM for a 1/2 HP motor would be still be pretty high. I know it will be quite loud - that does not concern me though (plus it is belt-driven - so that will help with noise).

SEE PHOTOS!

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad124/britongrove1/room-divider.jpg

Comments (3)