SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
theresas_gw

Air exchange question - whole house fan or dehumidifier system?

theresas
12 years ago

Hello,

I hope some of you will have some advice for me. We have humidity and smell issues with our basement (moisture activates litter pan smell, gag) and I'd like to be able to draw out warm air at night and replace it with cool evening air, thus avoiding AC at night.

Originally I thought the only option was a whole house ventilator, installed in the ceiling, vented into the attic. I wondered about keeping the main floor's windows closed and opening basement windows and the door. We do have a rather large, open stairwell going to the basement. Then I ran across dehumidifier systems, not just our little stand-alone plug in NOISY sucker. One of them (http://www.ezbreathe.com/) seems to be a dehumidifier and whole house air exchanger all in one, but the air is sucked out from the basement, bringing the main level's air down there, then out.

So will it make my basement really warm, or just slightly warmer? It's a refuge from the heat in the summer, for as long as our noses can take it. I'd also like to be able to stop dumping tons of baking soda all over to soak up nasty smells. I think it would help considerably with the shockingly cold air we have down there in winter, rendering the basement useless to us.

I think adding a permanent dehumidifier will be good year-round, no more damp air in summer, no more ice on windows in winter. But is putting the combo unit with an air exchanger down there a bad idea versus putting it in the ceiling on our ground floor?

We have only the ground floor and the basement, no second story, if that helps.

Comments (7)