SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zuponcic

Dressing children for the cold

vedazu
17 years ago

I was in the supermarket tonight, and observed a young mother with a toddler--a young one--sitting in the cart. He had on a partially zipped light windbreaker with a little flannel lining, and NO SHIRT! No T-shirt, NO SHIRT! The temperature outside was roughly 40 degrees. I teach collegiate and pre-college piano students, and routinely, they arrive in the middle of winter in short-sleeved t-shirts, sandals, no stockings. Their parents are wearing their warm sweaters, and the kids are shivering. I realized, after the supermarket incident, that I haven't seen a little kid with an undershirt under his sweater or shirt for a long time. Maybe because I grew up in a very cold region, we all wore undershirts until it was time for training bras.

I have many times wanted to stop a young mother in the store and gently tell her that babies need hats, summer and winter. That they need socks when the weather gets cold. I jump right in with my own students: "Don't you know it is winter? Put on some long sleeves and wear stockings!" Their parents are sitting right there and I don't care--no wonder they've got the sniffles and sick days non-stop.

Part of the problem is that very few children wear wool these days--everything is cotton knit, spring, summer, fall and winter. Not too many people knitting for the grandkids.

I also remember that old Russian tradition of putting a belt around your coat, to keep the warm air from rising up to your chest. Keeps your tushie warm. If the kids just tucked in their shirts, it would serve the same function and they would be more warm.

I feel like an ancient crone, but my heart goes out to little ones who don't even know why they are uncomfortable, and can't express themselves.

Comments (20)