SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
neetsiepie

Smelly grout

neetsiepie
13 years ago

I'm posting on this side because it's not an on-topic question. I've posted on cleaning and flooring, too, but no responses to my dire and urgent question.

I have been noticing a scent from the main bathroom. An unpleasant scent. It's not all the time, and it's not heinous, but I smell it, especially if the door has been shut (which is rare since this is the main bath). No matter how much I scrub in there, I can't get rid of it.

I asked the man at the plumbing store, and he suggested it might be the 'p' trap in the sink; gasses can get backed up in there. Well, it's not a sewer smell, it's urine. So, I mentioned to MIL and she said her DH's bathroom has that problem too...we've come to the conclusion it's an aim issue.

So I've scrubbed & disinfected the grout around the toilet area, now I want to seal it to prevent it from seeping in. But all the sealers seem to say they help protect from stains, but don't mention that they're waterproof. Should grout be waterproof? How can I get this clean once and for all? I tried Febreeze, but it's not working. Maybe a urine treatment? I'm soo open to suggestions!!

Comments (7)