SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
neetsiepie

Truck update

neetsiepie
11 years ago

I got my truck back yesterday and it's running like a champ. But we have a HUGE mess on our hands. Seems the mechanic that installed the engine WAS responsible for burning up the transmission. They did not hook up some ground wires and that caused the tranny to burn out and be ruined. I guess this was engine install 101, check your work and make sure you've done everything right. Their rush and failure to hook those ground wires back up also could have caused other computer sensor failures, so good thing it was caught soon...not soon enough tho, but before it could do more damage.

So once trusted mechanic got the old transmission out and taken apart, they discovered that the PREVIOUS transmission mechanic, who we'd paid to install a NEW rebuild kit a while back, did NOT use new parts, he reused factory parts and other used parts that he had to modify to fit the transmission.

Had the engine installation not caused the major transmission problem, we would have had a bad tranny anyway because the faulty and used parts used when we paid for brand new.

DH has gotten in touch with the 1st tranny mechanic and read him the riot act. He's told DH to come by on Monday and they'd 'work something out' but we're going to send him a demand letter, along with copies of our receipt and warranty from him, pursuing a full refund. He didn't do damage, but he definitely did not give us what we'd paid for. We're also going to require the engine mechanics to pay for the new tranny install. So it looks like we're probably going to litigate, if I can't get their insurance to kick in. The 1st Tranny shop definitely ripped us off...used parts...I'm FURIOUS.

The trusted shop showed us the parts they took out and explained piece by piece what was wrong with the first rebuild. He was explicit when he said that the engine installers failure to hook up those wires caused the burn up...there was no other way it could have happened, and they are willing to help us if it goes to court.

The good news is, the engine IS in perfect shape, the tranny is so soft, it's like butter, and I have a like new truck. AND my DH apologized to me for being a tightwad in the first place. We'll see what happens after I send demand letters out.

Comments (9)