SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jojojujubee

Chimney flue

jojojujubee
10 years ago

I had my chimney cleaned. The chimney vents my oil boiler and runs up the exterior of my house. The sweep told me there were some broken tiles he cleaned out laying at the bottom of the chimney, and that the chimney was pulling away from the house. He told me he could rebuild it for $6,000. I asked him if anchoring it to the house was an option, to which he responded yes. I became a bit leary when that was not an option he offered, but was an acceptable one. (My husband has since anchored it.) Well, now after reading a bit on the internet, I am concerned about these broken tiles. I do believe from what he said that they do exist, but dont really trust him to be totally honest about what really should be done. I think he really wanted the proceeds to build the chimney over. From what I have read, I am wondering if this is where a chimney liner would be an option? And, if so, what is a ballpark cost for a two story house? When is a liner not an option? Is the house less at risk of carbon monoxide since its an exterior chimney and not one that runs through the house? Any advice? I just dont know about this subject.

Comments (14)