SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hope_2008

New Furnance causing Ticking and Popping Noises

hope_2008
16 years ago

We just replaced our 28 year old high efficiency gas furnance with a new high efficiency gas furnace. Furnace is extremely quiet, nice, service was great but it is causing a continous ticking/popping noise in the metal duct work right by the furnance about 3 seconds apart. We can occassionally here popping and ticking elsewhere but it's the loudest here. It seems when the fan runs continously it is more noticeable. In the evening it seems more noticeable too (maybe it's just more quiet). It's been 2 weeks now and we have seriously not slept. We are living in a 60s ranch and the furnace is right under our bedroom.

I understand metal heats and contracts. I told the furnace guys that maybe the heat coming out of the furnance is too hot (I read this on another website forum). They said they've only seen that happen when it's an old furnace - nowadays the airs not hot like that and it's different technology.

Could we have been sold the wrong furnance for our house? I mean why would the old one not do this and the new one does? I know now they have to put a vent to outside a pipe so maybe the heating and cooling feature causes more metal to expand contract but... it's not like we are going to get new ductwork...

What do we do?

Comments (4)