SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dgranara

Anybody know anything about Night Terrors?

dgranara
14 years ago

Sorry, this is REALLY LONG.

A little background:

My son turned 3 at the beginning of July. He's a healthy, happy kid with no history of NTs. On Saturday night he developed a fever (not serious, was kept at bay with Motrin) but slept fairly well on Saturday night. Sunday, he was only slightly hot throughout the day and seemed to be on the mend, in a good mood, etc.

Well, then came Sunday night. An hour or two after being put to bed my husband and I heard C on his monitor SCREAMING. We thought he was in some kind of pain and rushed in there to find him still lying down, presumably asleep, flailing around and kicking his covers all over the place. The first thing I did was try to comfort him by talking and holding him, guessing it was maybe a bad dream. He acted almost as if my and my husband's touches were burning his skin or something. In the ensuing chaos, my husband and I both got punched, kicked, slapped you name it. It was truly terrifying, as he would never do anything like that while awake. He's normally a very laid back, happy kid. Anyway, we brought him into our room, where he continued to cry (if that's even the word for what this was) for a good 10 minutes or so, while mumbling incoherently. We literally couldn't make out one word. Then, he just kinda snapped out of it - I don't think he was ever fully awake, but he said (clearly) something like, "Close the doors! Close the doors!" - which I did to make him feel as safe as possible - and then he fell back to sleep for the night without further incident. He woke up the next morning happy as a clam.

Monday, he was fine all day. Maybe a little exhausted from having been sick, but no fever. He seemed like his usual self. Then, Monday night, the same thing happened. Around 11:30, just as I was turning everything off and going to bed, I heard another terrifying scream coming from his room. We brought him into our bed again and did the best we could to comfort him. After a few minutes, to try to wake him up, I brought him downstairs to the kitchen to get him a drink. He sat on a chair, with his eyes open, as if he was awake, still sobbing. I kind of got the feeling that he was "glazed over" for lack of a more medically correct term. Like he wasn't totally "there." When we got back upsatirs he cried for another 5 minutes, but it wasn't nearly as violent.

This morning, I gently prodded him to find out what he remembered and it pretty much seems as if he has no recollection of either event. Again, he woke up happy and smiling. I am DREADING bedtime tonight. I don't think I've ever seen anything as terrifying as him trying to fight off whatever was in his "dream." I think I'm going to call the pedi, but according to the few NT websites I've been to, most pediatricians don't know much about NTs. I'm hoping the fever kind of caused these episodes and now that he's fully recovered things will get back to normal. If it happens again tonight, I'll be calling the doctor tomorrow.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Comments (11)

• deedee-2008
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Yes, and you have my sympathy and a big hug. My daughter started having NT's around the same age. I don't recall if she had a fever around the time, and that may just be a coincidence. Back them, she would be put to bed about 8pm, and like clockwork at approx 10pm to 11pm, she would be shrieking/thrashing in her room. I went to a talk about children and sleep patterns, and the child psychiatrist said that NT happened in a certain phase of sleep (I can't remember what phase) where the child's brain couldn't move from one to another. Apparently, it was near the same phase as when a person dreams. His idea was to gently "almost" wake up the child right before that phase would start. So, after three months of my DD having those NTs, we would partially wake her up, and she didn't have them. Of course, that is not the end of the story. Once she started school at age 5, she began sleepwalking during times of stress (ie, start of school year, the day before her birthday, Christmas, etc). She's now 10, and school starts next week, so we'll see what happens. Our pediatrician told me kids that have NT are often sleepwalkers. Definitely get some tips from your pediatrician. Good luck and good sleeping to your family!

• teacats
    14 years ago

Had them all my life. I don't sleepwalk but have vivid dreams and also nightmares and vivid NTs during stressful times .... and yes .... sometimes I can appear to be very awake .... but I'm not ....

I remember reading somewhere that those kinds of dreams meant that I was very creative and that my brain was wired for creative wide-ranging thinking .....

lately -- before settling in for bed -- I like to read something calming or watch something calming on my TV (like a DVD) for a few minutes so that my brain "rests" Also -- I do have to eat just before bed (like a banana or cereal) ..... and sometimes a warm bath helps too ...

Jan

• Related Discussions

Looking at this hardwood floor-anybody know anything about it?

Q

Comments (1)
    We just had white oak T&G installed in out place. The reason I went with it over the engineered product is that I did not want the Seams at every joint. They tend to collect dust & dirt and we felt that if we were not right on top of it it would drive us crazy. The manuf has to chamfer the edges so the piece fit together well. Our floor is smooth ith no places for anything to collect. You can get the distressed look with regular T&G flooring too.
    ...See More

does anybody know anything about black cherry ice cream

Q

Comments (6)
    Wow, it looks like a beautiful climber. Back in 2013, someone on HMF asked David Bang if his roses would ever be available to the home gardener. He replied that he hoped so and that he was testing a number of his roses with Star Roses and other companies from other countries and that it would be many years before they complete their testing. To the person who posted the question, he went on to say that if there was a particular rose he liked that was rejected for testing, he could produce it and sell it to them. It's been awhile since that post. I wonder how the testing is going. Here is a link to his page on HMF: David Bang
    ...See More

Anybody know anything about these doors?

Q

Comments (2)
    Post this with a shout out to Palimpest on the Home Decorating board and I bet you'll get some answers. http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/decor/
    ...See More

Anybody know anything about Colorquartz brand?

Q

Comments (0)
    Our contractor wants to use Colorquartz pre-fab quartz countertops. Just curious if anyone knows anything about them- good, bad, neutral? Thank you! Website is www.colorquartz.com
    ...See More
  • deedee-2008
    14 years ago

Jan...I hope that NT is linked to creativity. My DD that sleepwalks IS very creative. Maybe that's the silver lining to this.

• dgranara
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oy. I hope we're not dealing with this permanently. I really, REALLY feel for both of you.

I cannot stop thinking about this and have found several resources naming fever as a trigger of NTs. Not a cause, per se, which is what scares me. It's like the fever triggers something in the brain that had been dormant prior to. The neurological (is that the right word?) aspect of this really scares me, although I've read that the NTs are supposed to relatively harmless.

I'm having a hard time believing that.

• goldengirl327
    14 years ago

When I read your post I got the chills. We experienced the same thing with our DS. Sorry I can't remember what triggered it, but it was before the age of three and he eventually outgrew it. We did pretty much the same as you and the other posters -- comforted him and helped him readjust. Sometimes he remembered, sometimes he didn't. I feel for you and your son as it is not an easy thing to watch/endure. Maybe there is something to the creative mind working overtime theory. As it turns out, our son has been identified as gifted. (((Hugs))) to you. This too shall (hopefully) pass.

• rdquilter
    14 years ago

My grandson turned 4 in April. He started the NT exactly as you described around 3. He seemed to have more episodes when he spent the night at our house than he did at his own. One thing I noticed (since I had him sleep in my bed with me and I am a light sleeper) he always started out by snuffling his nose as if he couldn't get air, then the thrashing, then the screaming. I was convinced it was a breathing issue, although Oprah had an entire show on it and it is supposedly just a brain thing. They said on the show that you should not try to wake them up, just keep them from hurting themselves and wait it out. They don't remember it and it is NOT from a nightmare. It occurs in the stage when you are not yet dreaming.
    I understand how scary it is when it happens but my grandson seems to have outgrown it too. I remember thinking if I didn't know he had a good life i would think he was being abused or something. He just spent the night lately and he snuffled and thrashed a few times but never did the whole screaming thing.
    His mother (my daughter) has always been a sleep walker and talker. We had a heck of a time waking her up sometimes.
    (another bizarre thing on Oprah that day, was Sleep Eaters! People actually get up , raid the kitchen and have no memory of it-not kidding-they filmed them and they were mortified)
    Hang in there, but you might have a while to put up with it.

• laxsupermom
    14 years ago

DS2 had night terrors at about the same age. We ended up letting him sleep in our room for a few months. DH decided that this was not a good solution.(put a cramp on marital relations) He then slept in DS1's room on a trundle bed for nearly a year. DS1 was a huge help during this time period.

• neetsiepie
    14 years ago

DD2 had them. She also sleepwalked for years. Her NT frightened me so badly, I'd cry along with her because I couldn't get her to wake up, and I'd just have to comfort her until she either woke up, with no recollection of what happened, or she fell into deeper sleep.

We had to make sure to put a chain lock on the door, out of her reach because she once tried to open the door "to go out to play with the bunnies." Luckily my sister was sleeping on the sofa at the time and stopped her from going out.

As she got older (maybe 6 or 7), she'd sleep talk. She'd sit up and start a conversation with you, but you could see in her eyes that she wasn't awake. One time, early puberty, she fell asleep in front of the TV. We shook her and shook her till she roused, looked me straight in the eye and said she was going to bed. Then she started climbing the stairs. Only problem was, she was still standing in front of the TV, not on the stairs. I kept trying to wake her and she just yelled at me saying "I AM going to bed". After nearly a minute she woke and realized what she was doing.

She also slept very deeply...nothing would wake her. She didn't have NT's or sleep walking every night, but it was pretty frequent. She started sleeping normally once she hit puberty.

She's a VERY creative person, so I don't doubt they're all related.

• ttodd
    14 years ago

DS2 was getting them around 2yrs of age. We would get him partially awake and just hold him firmly until it subsided or if he was too violent to hold just remove anything where he might injure himself and wait it out beside him then hold him.

So far (knock on wood) it hasn't happened for the past 6 months and it was very scary the first few times but after talking w/ people once we calmed down about it, he was able to calm down faster and go right back to sleep as though nothing had happened.

Good luck!

• dgranara
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you, all. I really needed to be talked through this.

We had a NT-free night last night, which was a HUGE relief. I must have fallen asleep a bit earlier than usual, and when I heard C on his monitor, my heart sank. But then I realized it was 2:00 and he was calling for me, clearly. I got in there and sure enough, he was very obviously awake. He stayed awake for maybe ten minutes and then went back to sleep for the night, without incident.

In my original post I forgot to mention that my older son had some similar episodes when he was about two, after having had a fever. Maybe in their cases this is something that is just brought on by fever? THAT I could handle. I don't know how you've all done it for years. This is one of the most stressful things I've been through and it only lasted two nights!

Well, we'll see how tonight goes. Thanks again!

• myfoursquare
    14 years ago

My son also started having NT around that age. They are awful. His would only happen occasionally, and they seem to have gone away now that he is school age. He still sleepwalks from time to time though. I feel for you, it is a terrible thing for a parent to observe. We couldn't really do anything for him because we never were successful at waking him up while he was having these episodes. He never once remembered having them when he woke up either, which actually made me feel better. My kids are not really deep sleepers, and although he is very intelligent, I would not classify him as being terribly creative or imaginative. He is a facts and figures kind of kid and can remember almost any bit of information that has ever come his way. Maybe his poor brain was on overload. I really can't claim to know much about NT, except that I can feel your pain.