SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leahcate

A Fashion Alert I can Love!

leahcate
13 years ago

At Vogue.com I'm looking for no earrings( and there ARE almost NO earrings: it's the 'minimalist look"), when what to my wondering eyes should appear but a heart-stopping trend for fall: No more "pants on the ground"! I am so in hopes that plumbers butt-pubic grazing, 1/2 inch zippered waistlines(ha! Hiplines) will fade into the sunset. Oh please! I have disliked it for myself, but hated it for my granddaughters. At the risk of sounding like an old foggy (though my daughter also dislikes it), I've hated the look for it's potential trashiness and it's uncomfortableness. Unlike the no earring trend, I pray this one( if it truly is one) will be long lasting.

Comments (24)

• golddust
    13 years ago

I'll second this one too!! My GD is rather conservative with her longer shirts but she still wears relatively low cut pants. Not 1/2" though.

Also, those horrific gang inspired baggy pants for teen boys have to go for good. I have watched teen boys walking all deformed, just so they wouldn't lose their pants! My grandsons' are going for the skinnier, no sag in the butt jeans these days. I much prefer those to the baggy look.

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

Sounds good. I was just noting the other day how I'm seeing fewer plunging necklines with cleavage cleaving.

You're not an old fogey, Leahcate. I think the time has come to offer women clothing that leaves something to the imagination again.

If a woman wants to follow trends & be "in style" she should have options that allow her to do so without giving away the store, so to speak. It's time for "Trash-chic" as featured in any of those "Real Housewives" shows, to go the way of the dinasaur!

What would Audrey Hepburn do? Plumbers crack, cleavage cleaving, outfits that are tummy revealing...I don't think so.

• Related Discussions

Where can I find old fashion subway tiles?

Q

Comments (19)
    mtnrdux, I think you could really tell the difference between the Subway Ceramics version and newer subway tile if you had them installed side by side. The American Olean 3x5 I have from Lowes in my bath are perfectly nice, but they aren't quite authentic in terms of flatness - they have a bevel to them that reflects the edges and makes them look more modern. Schnauzer, both Emser and Lanka Tile make a nice white subway that's slightly less $$ than the Subway Ceramics version. You could also try Iron Gate tile.
    ...See More

Where Oh Where Can I Find an Old Fashion Mop?

Q

Comments (21)
    I hear ya!! There are tons of them available for very good prices but they all have cotton heads, I honestly have never seen one with anything other than a cotton head, the rayon is what seems to make it hard to find and apparently costly. My cleaning lady uses an industrial size mop and the big yellow wringer caddy on wheels she gets hers at janitor supply stores. I have seen them at costco and sams too but I would bet they are all cotton. What is special about the rayon? Wilen Professional H10016-011 General Purpose Deck Mop as you can see there many choices for cheap but all cotton this is what it says on the mop page about the differences in cotton and rayon "General Purpose Deck Mop features high grade yarns with cut ends, rust-proof cord-tied outside binding, and a metal handle. Cotton yarn is more absorbent for efficient cleaning. Rayon yarn is ideal for applying finishes and other liquids." so are you using it as a mop or to apply some type of stain or finish? well I did find some with a new google search Rayon Deck Mop Rayon Deck Mop search
    ...See More

Alert! Alert! Jiffy Cake Mix

Q

Comments (13)
    Juellie, There has been a little confusion about the recipe. In the earlier thread, Kayjones said Glenda's was the right one. Glenda's: GREAT EASY CORNBREAD 1 (8 1/2 oz.) pkg. Jiffy corn muffin mix 2 (8 1/2 oz.) pkgs. Jiffy yellow cake mix, or 1 pkg. reg. yellow cake mix Mix each package as directed on box. You can do this all at once. Pour into a 9 x 13 pan. Bake at 350 degrees until done and golden brown. Great with butter and honey! So I will be using that one. Hope it works! Bump, that Jiffy site is a keeper. Some good sounding easy recipes there. TFS. The store locator said the store I went to has the cake mix. Guess they will until somebody buys those last 5 boxes. Maybe it will be available in some areas, but not all. Depends on how it sells I guess. Oh, I got Yellow cake mix. Sue
    ...See More

NEWBIE ALERT! LOVE giving my extras away!

Q

Comments (0)
    Sooo excited about this spring! Ready to play in the dirt! Nothing to trade at the moment,but..I can provide a happy home for your extras ! Thanks in advance!
    ...See More
  • 2ajsmama
    13 years ago

Just took the fall clothes out of the attic. DD is so small that even though I swear she grew this summer, only 3 pairs of size 5 Garanimals sweatpants were too short (the others are right there, so if they shrink or she grows anymore, they'll be too short). All her size 5/6 sweaters and T-necks still fit! Of course, we bumped into a friend from preschool we hadn't seen since June 09 and though as I recall she was nearly a year younger than DD, and same size, now she's half a head taller! Be interesting to see how the kindergarten friends grew over the summer compared to DD. I told her as she was trying things on that she couldn't wear something if it showed her belly-button. I did take her shopping the other day, bought 4 pairs of size 6X sweatpants at Kohl's and 1 pair size 6 jeans at consignment store (less than $1), the jeans looked a little tight but fine if she just wears them once. I dread next year (unless the tide really is turning) b/c then I think she will be too big for the "little kid" clothes and the things I see in the stores for even 7-8 yr olds are too suggestive!

DS had to buy some new pants (thank goodness he doesn't follow trends, just likes sweatpants but will wear slim jeans), he's size 12 now, he'll be 12 in Nov but says he's one of the smallest in class, that's b/c he's the youngest. He *will* wear T-shirts and hoodies that are too small for him until we forcibly take them away, though.

• neetsiepie
    13 years ago

Just the other day we saw this young woman wearing those low cut jeans and a very tight tuxedo type top that had a large keyhole cutout at the top of her breasts. The jeans gave her a massive muffin top (she wasn't a big girl, either) and the guys in the car with me commented on how trashy she looked. She was definitely attracting the wrong attention!

I'll be happy when they start making tops long enough to go past your hips and not graze just under the belly button!

I've noticed that most of the boys in our area have been wearing the skinny jeans for the last several years, only a few hold outs wear those baggy jeans. My son & his friends used to buy girls jeans about 8 years ago since no one made skinny jeans for guys till about 5 years ago.

I've heard that when the economy goes south, we tend to cover up more. So there could be a bright side to this rotten economy...more modest attire!

• 2ajsmama
    13 years ago

Yeah, pesky, I read that somewhere once too. Said "hemlines" get longer when economy is bad, guess that means on shirts as well as dresses LOL.

About "keyhole" tops - DD was wearing one the other day (tiny opening with a bow on top), pointed it out to me, asked if it was cute, I said yes, she then asked "But only if a little skin shows, right, a lot of skin isn't cute?" That's my girl!

• OllieJane
    13 years ago

I SO hope the "skinny jeans" for guys fades soon! UGH! Thank goodness my DS is 7 and hopefully the trend will be over when he's older. We are still in the True Religion jeans mode here. No cracks or baggy look! There are only a few, and I mean very few girls that even look good in the skinny jeans. My DS teacher last year wore them, and she was built so cute that they looked really good. They just are not made for the average built person, IMO.

• work_in_progress_08
    13 years ago

Now if only the tramp stamp would go the way of the super low cut jeans. One can only dream....

• sweeby
    13 years ago

Ooh ! Skinny jeans for guys -- I have just the guy for them...(older DS) Younger DS is a solidly-built guy (30x30 Levis) who doesn't give a flip about fashion and wears whatever I buy him. ;-) His coloring is fair, and with a muscular build, he really looks fabulous in Easter Egg colors. Don't know how long his fashion-compliance will last --

• Ideefixe
    13 years ago

I think you need to check out Teen Vogue. It's actually a great magazine, and if your granddaughters aren't reading it, you could give them a subscription.

It's well written, has cute fashion features, and isn't all slutty/stupid. I wish there was an adult version.

Here is a link that might be useful: Teen Vogue

• 2ajsmama
    13 years ago

Dare I ask? "Tramp stamp" = tattoo?

• neetsiepie
    13 years ago

Tramp Stamp = elaborate tattoo on the lower back, just above the buttocks that shows when wearing low cut jeans.

Was very trendy when the whole showing your thong thing was in. Unfortunate thing is that once you get one, you're stuck with it. Just hope those who have them keep them covered up!

• 2ajsmama
    13 years ago

Ah, specific location for the "stamp". Well, any/all tattoo(s) are hard to erase (some colors more than others, but I forget which), but that location is easier to hide than others. Esp. in business attire, so not a problem for those who are stuck with them now.

You always have to think, not only of location and whether a tattoo will be covered by clothing when you don't want it to show (like a job interview or after you get the job), but also what it's going to look like when you get older and fat (or really thin) and wrinkly.

• neetsiepie
    13 years ago

I got my first tat when I was 46. I put it on the inside of my left arm, just below my elbow. A year later I got one on my right arm, just above the wrist.

I've been asked why I got them in such a visible place and I said it's because I wanted to see them. If I'd been 18 when I got them, I'd have chosen a more discreet location, but as a grown woman in a secure field, I said why not? I chose tats that have significance to me, not just a whim (like a tramp stamp!).

Occasionally I get odd looks, but the people I meet with in business realize I'm a professional (I wear long sleeves while in meetings with the Governors cabinet or with Senators for example) but once they've gotten to know me, they're not so weirded out when they see them.

But I agree, there is a time & place for them, but I hope that some day they'll become more mainstream. By the way, I just learned that Portland, Oregon is ranked 5th in the nation as the most tattood city in America.

• leahcate
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh darn! I guess auntjen is truly gone:>( or she'd be on here flamin' in a flash:>) Let's not( I know, not my business if a thread goes sideways) turn this into a pro-con popcorn thing on tatoos. Some love them, some hate 'em.
    Now, back to pants:>) Sweeby, you must not have a daughter (can't remember, think not?)...Easter egg colors in skinny jeans!:>) Very uber-chic, but not to my taste for guys or girls. On women,I simply dislike the uncomfortable looking wrinkles at the knee joints.( my daughter hates that feel), and they look too feminine on guys, but I'm not hip enough to be into the metro-sexual look. Care less about it, though, as long as it doesn't filter down to my fashion world the way the low-riders have, leaving me and mine with virtually no choice if we want to remain somewhat in style.
    golddust: this made me LOL! :".... I have watched teen boys walking all deformed, just so they wouldn't lose their pants!..."
    ajsmama: You can dress your children as you like after size 6/6x, but it will not be easy. I did this with my daughter, and now (harder) with my grandgirls. Gymboree's clothes remain kid friendly up thru size 12. Though not Old navy in price, they have very good sales( online, too!)along with higher quality. When I couldn't find girls jeans with comfy waists/fit I bought boys Levis and added dressy belt or scarf belts. I'd leave her in GAP dressing room and sneak over to boys when she got older and cared a bit;>) Now she loves the "boyfriend jeans" When I discovered they were making TODDLERS(fer gosh sakes!) girl's sweats form fitting and lower waist-ed, I'd get them in boys dept and match up with girls cute tops.
    But, seeing long (bottom covering) tops with tights/leggings, and maybe this new/old waistline on the runway, I'm thinking perhaps we are swinging back into a more modest fashion look. Cross your fingers!

• 2ajsmama
    13 years ago

Oh, goodness, sorry I didn't mean to start a tattoo discussion. Though I do think you have to be mindful of the things I mentioned. My brother(Berklee grad)is tattooed from wrist to shoulder, up the neck, has multiple piercings, and shaves his head. Maybe it's the economy, but lately he's only been able to find work as a bouncer.

leahcate - thanks, DD is very fussy about things feeling right (time to buy new socks and get her used to wearing them again!), and she's starting to get an hourglass figure already so it's hard to find things that fit w/o being too tight in the butt and too loose in the waist. I told her the other day she needs the "curvy fit" jeans like me - though I don't have the small waist I used to, so wear lower-cut (not 1/2" rise!) jeans now. DD won't wear leggings or tights, though she loves dresses, makes it a little hard in the winter!

• golddust
    13 years ago

Ajsmom, how about Hanna Andersson? If you figure out what size she wears in her clothing, you can find them in excellent used condition on Ebay. They are always so comfie and wear like iron.

• work_in_progress_08
    13 years ago

Love Hanna Anderson. When DD was younger, I had a field day with their clothing. Especially loved the pj's. I actually would buy "Christmas" pj's - matching for DD & me. Their clothing is not inexpensive, but you can't wear it out.

Also, HA used to have a policy wherein you could return clothing which was outgrown and they in turn, provided same to women and children in need. Great way to give back.

My favorite baby gift is the sweater set. It's a splurge, but make a really nice gift once the baby arrives.

Oh, and the tatoo thing. I don't mind tats at all. Just lived through the popularity of the super low jeans and the tatoo right above the crack of these young girl's butts. Not a very feminine look and combine it with a pair of thong panties meant to hang out above the jean line. UGH Worked with way too many young female file clerks who thought that was an attractive look.

• 2ajsmama
    13 years ago

I'll have to check for a HA store. I imagine they sell online? I've gotten some things at thrift/consignments so they must be somewhere here or online. My sister buys them for her DD - their underwear is the only kind she buys. But she's in CA.

W-i-p: may be attractive (to the guys) but not appropriate attire for work.

Just got an email from my mom - my DB and his girlfriend (a tattoo artist) just opened a studio on Friday. Wish them luck.

• jay06
    13 years ago

Sorry to interrupt the fashion discussion, but just a question on leahcate's mention of auntjen being gone. Is she just on vacation gone, or gone gone? Did I miss something? I'm not here real often, but I haven't seen her lately. Again, sorry to hijack. Just wondering.

• golddust
    13 years ago

Is there such a thing as hijacking in a home decorating conversation? I love the twists and turns our conversations take.

I miss auntjen too! I want her to be right in my face again when I judge tattoos, which I still do. Maybe she needs a new computer. She was having trouble with loading this site and maybe just gave up? Hopefully she will have problems with other sites soon and penny up for a new computer and come back.

Auntjennnn!!

• mitchdesj
    13 years ago

w-i-p ?? what is that ?

• 2ajsmama
    13 years ago

Sorry, my shorthand for work_in_progress_08. I was responding to her comment.

• mitchdesj
    13 years ago

oh ok, I was reading w-i-p may be attractive, I get it now....

• golddust
    13 years ago

I have a very dark wash, NYDJ pencil skirt I intend to include as part of my Federal Court wardrobe. (August 30th is coming right up!) I decided a crisp white blouse, untucked and figure flattering would be just the thing. Good news! Blouses are everywhere this fall. I like the hourglass structured blouses.

I picked up a white $90. Ralph Lauren for $30. at Macys. To stretch my skirt further, I bought a crisp blouse in a subtle red, pink and white stripe. My pink pumps will be great with this blouse. My black Ecco pumps for the white shirt.

If the trail goes into 6 days, I'll be set. Pencil skirt first and last day. Hey there will be a weekend in there. LOL! Pencil skirt Mondays.