SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sue36_gw

Ever heard of this? Smoking in restaurants?

sue36
17 years ago

Last week DH and I decided to use a gift card we were given to a chain restaurant in Portsmouth, NH. We walked in, were seated and ordered immediately (it was (9:00, I was starved). A few minutes later I asked DH if he smelled smoke (I'm like a bloodhound). He said there was someone smoking behind me. When the waitperson came around with our drinks I asked if smoking was allowed in this area. She said it was. I then asked to be moved to the non-smoking area (I have severe asthma and allergies). She told me that there is NO non-smoking area. The entire restaurant (not just the bar, the whole place) is smoking. Have any of you ever heard of this? I wrote to the restaurant chain to complain. I mean, this is a place with a children's menu! I live in Maine and used to live in Mass., and smoking is banned in all workplaces in both states. Apparently NH (live free or die of lung cancer, apparently) doesn't have restaurant smoking laws. Have you ever heard of a chain restaurant not having a non-smoking area? I honestly think the last time I ate in a smoking area was in the 1980s.

Comments (22)