SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jportoil

Ripped Off?

jportoil
17 years ago

Hi,

I recently had my boiler spring a leak and called a company to come and take a look at it. I was told since I'm not a customer there would be a $100 evaluation fee I'd have to pay and I agreed. The first technician arrived took off the side panel and found the leak. He told me I needed a new boiler and called his sales office. He didn't charge me because "if you buy the boiler through us we don't charge you for the work we do". He advised me against putting sealent in the system and left leaving the side panel off. The burner started to spew some smoke and kept on leaking slowly into my bucket.

After meeting with the sales person I mentioned I was worried about leaving the boiler that way and she said she would have a second tech visit to see what they could do to stabilize it for me. Overnight while I waited the boiler spewed soot into my house. The next day a tech arrived and found the boiler was plugged. He spent about an hour cleaning it and adding sealent but he neglected to notice an obvious half missing gasket on the boiler. He left the place a mess (carbon all over) and the half used sealent bottle on top of my boiler.

Their estimate came in 2K more than all the rest and obviously I chose not to use them. They've sent me a bill for the hour and fifteen minutes spent at $688. In addition to two evalauation fees. He charged me $189 for the cleaning, and $289 for adding the sealent. I'm assuming this is outrageous. Was I ripped off?

Thanks for anyones help in this matter.

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor