SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cheryl_ok

Gadgets..pork chops

cheryl_ok
10 years ago

The creamed pork chops may be called something else to others.
All you do is pan fry your pork chops to brown them, not all the way done of course. Then put in crock pot or slow cooker with cream of mushroom soup poured on top of them till tender. You can use the cream sauce as gravy on your choice of potatoes.
I enjoy this over just fried chops, they are so tender!

Comments (14)

• heather_on
    10 years ago

We don't brown ours first. We just put them in a roasting pan and cover them with cream of mushroom soup. We also add a bunch of baby carrots. Cook in the oven about 45 minutes at 400 degrees. Then they are nice and tender. The soup makes delicious gravy. We usually have baked potatos with this meal as well.

• gadgets
    10 years ago

Thanks for letting me know how they were fixed. I know they will be tender and will put them on my list of foods/recipes to try.

Shirley

• Sue_va
    10 years ago

I have done similar with Chicken Gumbo soup. I like that bit of rice with it.

Sue

• kayjones
    10 years ago

I brown mine first and then bake them in the oven with rice - YUM!

This is from Tricia Yearwood's cookbook:

Pork Chops & Rice

Ingredients:

3 - 4 - tablespoons butter
    1 - cup uncooked long-grain white rice
    6 - pork chops, bone in or boneless sirloin chops
    salt to taste
    1 - 10-ounces canned beef broth
    2/3 - cup water
    6 - onion slices, separated into rings
    4 - 5 green pepper rings
    1/4 - teaspoon pepper

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350-degrees. In a medium skillet, melt the butter over medium-low heat.

Add the rice and saute until it is light brown, about 5 minutes. Spread the rice in a 9X13 casserole dish.

Season the pork chops with the salt and pepper and add to the same skillet heat to medium high. Brown pork chops on each side (do not cook them all the way through).

You just want them browned and seared on each side. Searing the pork chops first adds a nice rich flavor to the pork. Arrange the pork chops on top of the rice. Pour the broth and water over the chops.

Spread the onion rings and green peppers over the chops and cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake for 45 - 50 minutes, or until pork chops are tender.

If after 50 minutes the rice is not cooked, remove the pork chops to a plate and keep warm. Cover the dish and return the rice to the oven for an additional 15 minutes. If the rice is dry, add a bit more water before returning to oven (dependent on climate).
    I checked the pork chops after 45 minutes. The rice was almost done so I did not remove the pork chops. I just recovered the dish with aluminum foil and continued cooking an additional 15 minutes.

Total time 1 hour and the pork chops and rice were both perfect. Serve the pork chops on a bed of the rice.

• glenda_al
    10 years ago

I like to smother leftover fried chicken in white gravy. Warm it up and serve with hot biscuits for breakfast.

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    10 years ago

Yes, white gravy for me too with my chicken or pork chops. I really do not like cream of mushroom soup.

Sue

• Jasdip
    10 years ago

Kayjones, your recipe sounds good. I don't like cooking with creamed soups.

• kayjones
    10 years ago

I have made this one for years, Jas. It's good with chicken, too - but best of all, it's an EASY, no-peek meal!

• angelaid
    10 years ago

Nita's pork chop, rice, tomato bake is awesome! So easy, no cream soup, and hubby loves it! I don't have it on my phone. I hope she sees this and reposts it. It's been a favorite for years now.
    Her sausage and rigatoni is another keeper!
    Heck, I should just send hubby to live with Nita and Mike! LOL

• User
    10 years ago

I do this but with a pork roast. I brown it on all sides in margerine first, then add it and the drippings to the slow cooker. I'll also had one medium chopped onion. It's the only way I'll eat mushroom soup. It makes the best gravy. I only season it with a little salt and pepper.

• gadgets
    10 years ago

I think I'm going to make this tomorrow, Cheryl. And I will brown them first. With our cold weather, this should make a nice comfort meal.

Shirley

• Jasdip
    10 years ago

I have Nita's recipe.

Party Bake Pork Chops
    Betty Crocker New Dinner For Two Cookbook copyright 1964

4 lean pork chops, 1" thick
    4 thin slices onion
    1/4 cup uncooked rice (not instant)
    1 can (1 lb. 13 oz.) tomatoes
    1/2 to 1 tsp. salt
    pepper

Trim any excess fat from chops. Season chops well on both sides with salt and pepper. Brown on both sides in lightly greased hot skillet.

Top each chop with a slice of onion, 1 tbsp rice, and cover with whole tomatoes. Add any remaining tomatoes and juice to skillet. Cover tightly; simmer over low heat or bake in foil covered baking dish at 350 degrees for 1 1/2 hours or until tender.
    4 servings.

This is Nita's way of making them:

I don't brown the chops. I put them in an oblong baking dish and put sliced onions on them and then I rinse my oriental rice (Calrose or Hinode) to remove the talc. It won't hurt if you have a little extra rice.

Then I take a large can of whole tomatoes and break them up all over the pork chops. I add some water to the can to get the rest of the juice and then cover with foil and bake. This is delicious served with soy sauce to taste. From Nita AZ

• cheryl_ok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have also made it without browning my chops, however if I don't brown them first they seem to fall apart in the crock pot...I like meals that can remain in crockpot until we are ready to eat. We seldom have a said time we eat around here. By browning them first they last longer in the pot. JMO

• angelaid
    10 years ago

Thanks Jasdip, and Nita! It is so good, and so easy. I use it with boneless chicken breasts, too. I do brown the chops and chicken breasts first.