SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vickey__mn

For those knitters afraid to try felting

Vickey__MN
14 years ago

I say...go for it. Wool of the andes is fairly cheap at www.knitpicks.com (or at michaels there is some wool I think it's pattons), you can get a free pattern at Ralvary.com and try it. The patterns knit up quickly, and then you go for it. I'm not an expert, but I have now felted 3 pairs of slippers (only posted a picture of one, but have done 2 pairs of clog slippers also). It actually is easy, and fun!!! Be brave, go for it and let me know.

Start with something fairly easy..a purse, slippers, a hat. From there the patterns and possibilities are endless!!!

Things to know about felting in the washer (easiest way)

1. I haven't done in new washers (the HE ones), or front load...so don't know how, if they work, so research that before you try.

2. us lowest amount of water possible

3. start to fill with HOT water, but don't put item in......feel the water as it goes in, it will start out cold...when you feel the water is finally hot...empty the washer, and start again, you want HOT water, not warm water.

4. when full of HOT water, put item(s) in, a dab of liquid laundry soap (not woolite)..just a dab mind you...throw in a towel (though I've been told this can make the felting very linty, I must have OLD towels as mine didn't get linty) or a pair of jeans to help them felt better, and adjitate away. Check every 5 minutes or so.

5. DON'T WORRY when it gets bigger before it gets smaller, that happens!!!

6. When it starts to felt and get smaller, start watching so you can catch when it's the size you want it. When it's the right size (if it seems to be taking longer than 20 minutes, empty washer and add more hot water, the water may not be hot enough now)...set the washer to spin to get all the water out (I've tried to get all the water out by hand..it takes about 3 days to day, if I let the washer spin the water out, it takes a LOT less time).

7. If it's slippers, put them on to get the right fit..if too small, pull gently to size. If to big, felt some more.

TADA you've felted!!!

You can also felt by hand, by I'm too lazy. I've attached a link to felt by hand.

BE BOLD, try it, it's easy and fun!!

Soo easy really.

Vickey-MN

Here is a link that might be useful: Felting by hand

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County
More Discussions