Frozen Totino pizza question...

debnfla8b

I remember eating these for a quick supper back when I was younger and liking the hamburger or perhaps the sausage one...LOL But, I have never discovered what the herb seed is on them! Do ya'll know what I'm talking about? That little seed that is so tasty sprinkled on the top. This is driving me crazy.

It isn't Caraway seed, not sesame seed or is it poppy seed. It sort of looks like a fennel seed but it could be chopped up fennel seeds because fennel seeds are longer than the ones on the pizza.

So....do any of you have an idea of what seed I'm talking about..haha! Crazy huh!

Deb :o))

SaveComment15Like
Comments (15)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
orie

Caraway seeds have a strong taste to them. I think it is fennel, though that seed is also strong. Maybe chopped genugreek seeds??? We love the Red Baron pizzas, too.

Save    
debnfla8b

I've never heard of genugreek seeds. No, it isn't caraway seeds, I tasted one of them and it is a strong taste sort of a lemony flavor to me. The seeds on the pizzas taste milder than that. The flavor goes really good with the meat toppings.
This is driving me insane!!

Deb

Save    
marilyn_c

Anise seeds? Slight licorice flavor.

Save    
loagiehoagie

I think they are fennel seeds, chopped small. I like those little Totino pizzas too. When they go on sale for .89 I buy a few to stock up. They are just enough for a quick snack/meal for one. Like many products I have noticed they have shrunk in size slightly.

Duane

Save    
grammahony

I want to say fennel seed too. But they do taste like anise, like Marilyn said.
Leslie

Save    
janie_ga

I know exactly what you are talking about but have no idea what they are, LOL. Eric hates those pizzas but I will buy them sometimes for my school lunch.

Save    
marilyn_c

It's whatever they use in Italian sausage. I thought it was anise seeds, but it might be fennel seeds.

Save    
bigfoot_liz

i'm pretty sure it's fennel or atleast it smells to me like fennel. my co-workers have had a stash of hundreds of frozen totino's pizza's they have been eating over the last 2 yrs lol. i can not eat them, too much fat and preservatives.

how did they get the pizzas? well we have semi's come p/u at the nursery all the time and one time the driver was leaving a wal-mart in lakeland (i think) & they refused a pallet of totino's and he had to get rid of it before loading up his 54' trailer w/ our plants. well we just happened to have an empty huge double freezer the owner's store their hunting meat in and one of the owners' sons wanted the pizza's so....we got a pallet of free pizza's. ~ liz

1 Like Save    
maddielee

I thought I could help you by going to the ingredient list on the website..

....hahahahaha -- it's listed and called; "Spice".

Here is a link that might be useful: Sausage Pizza Ingredients

Save    
glenda_al

Betting on fennel

Save    
debnfla8b

Thank you all for the help.

Maddielee, that is a hoot they list it as "spice". It might be fennel seed. I just have the ground up fennel seed I put in my seafood gumbo. I haven't ever tasted Anise seed that I know of.

Boy,I wish I could come into some free pizza's like that! What a deal...free too!

I love to make my own pizzas and really wanted to have that seed to put on them. I guess I'll experiment and find me some fennel seeds and anise seed!

But those totino's sure come in handy for a quick meal!

Thanks again.

Deb

Save    
HU-243229506

It is fennel seeds... I loved them in the school house pizzas as a little girl...I use to pick them out of the pizza and discovered they gave the pizza the Peculiar but great flavor

Save    
Hot Rod

It's definitely fennel. I can't stand the taste of fennel, so I know it when I see/taste it. lol

Save    
georgysmom2

My vote is fennel also since that's what is used in sausage.

Save    
cynic

It's fennel. I use fennel seed when making porketta. But I chop/grind it down. Used to get those things stuck in my teeth back when I used to eat Totino's. I used to like them. Great for a snack or a couple for a meal when we didn't feel like cooking or going out. Fast, cheap, tasty. Course I'd usually doctor them up with some bacon and extra cheese.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Kitchen Design A Cook’s 6 Tips for Buying Kitchen Appliances
An avid home chef answers tricky questions about choosing the right oven, stovetop, vent hood and more
Full Story
Kitchen Design Stay Cool About Picking the Right Refrigerator
If all the options for refrigeration leave you hot under the collar, this guide to choosing a fridge and freezer will help you chill out
Full Story
Kitchen Design Houzz Call: Tell Us About Your First Kitchen
Great or godforsaken? Ragtag or refined? We want to hear about your younger self’s cooking space
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever
Step into a Ferguson Showroom and you'll be surrounded by the latest styles in kitchen, bath and lighting design... Read More