SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
needheatpumphelp

Fixing Freon Leak or Replace?

needheatpumphelp
14 years ago

My home is approximately 1300 square feet single story and was built on a slab in 1984. It is located in NC and is a 1/4 mile from the ICW and is very humid in the summer. The winters are generally very temperate here except this year which was colder than normal. The unit is located on the north side of the house which has the least amount of saltwater exposure. The attic air handler is an original GE and the outside unit was replaced in 1998. It is a Janitrol. Last year the compressor went bad and was replaced in June. Six months later I had my installer check the unit when it was not cooling right. He had to put 3 pounds of R-22 in it. He did not want to go in the attic to trouble shoot the unit because of the heat up there. I now notice it is running more and more to keep up. I am assuming it is low on R-22 again since the leak did not repair itself.

Is it worth it to try and find the leak? It operates fine when it has the correct amount of R-22. Is this unit worth fixing or should I bite the bullet and replace this old 7 seer unit? The trunk ducting is metal appears to be galvanized and has the insulation inside. I am concerned that the insulation could break down over the years. I have been told that to install one of the more efficient systems we would really need to replace the duct work. I was also told that we could benefit from replacing the old pink insulation vats with the blown in type. We plan on keeping this home and would like to have an efficient system that we can count on long term. Thanks in advance for your responses.

Pleas let me know what your thoughts are. We would like to do something before we move into the summer cooling season.

Comments (5)