SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jscozz_gw

Undulations in flooring

jscozz
16 years ago

I am getting closer to completion on what seems to have dragged out to a major project... My unfinished red oak flooring now has stain and two coats of satin oil based on it. The flooring contractor redid the second floor after 3 rooms had obvious ruts from the sanding. Now those are better, but the master bedroom has a similar rut and very subtle undulations... like ripples in an area... about 6-8" apart... perpendicular to the boards. It happens to be in the direct line of site from the doorway entering the room to the window... and the light hits it just right to see it all. The second coat of urethane also seems to have dried with a different sheen in the larger rut (may be because it is thicker). I say "large", but to keep it in perspective, running your hand over the floor, you have to do it a few times to even feel it, it is so subtle, but with the line of sight to the window and the light hitting it, it is clearly visible.

Since I really do not want to have him redo the room (the doorway is on a 45 with the hallway and there is no single board for him to cut from old to new if he were to refinish that room)... my question is... we are planning to go to semi-gloss for the final coat... I know that the more gloss, the more you see surface imperfections... but will more gloss on the surface help to hide these wood undulations since more light is reflected off the surface and less off the wood itself? or will the higher gloss make this problem even worse too?

Is this type of blemish normal or did I just get a bad prep job with the sanding once again?

Comments (14)