SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kindasimpl

Engineered flooring install?

kindasimpl
2 years ago

We bought Anderson by Shaw 3/8" thick, Kupay Casitablanca, Mixed (3", 5", and 7" widths) in MONTERREY GREY (a dark walnut color). My installation choice will be nail down (because it is over the garage and the space is so big. Area is NW Georgia and the humidity is pretty high most of the time. We keep our house cool too).

It will be installed in a living room, kitchen, and dining room (all above the garage) and in a hallway (above second story living space). Pretty open floorplan, where flooring will continue from one outside wall to the opposite outside wall at some locations. Subfloor is 3/4" plywood. Baseboards are intact and carpet has been removed.

I have watched dozens of videos, read the manufactures installation instructions, and read many forum posts. I still have some questions...

I do not want to add shoe molding/quarter round to the bottom of my baseboards around the new flooring. So... can we just undercut the baseboards and slide the flooring underneath to create the expansion gap? I really don't want to remove the baseboards, since we took a lot of time installing them 7 years ago (they are about 8" tall).

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living