SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deeinohio

How it went - Wedding and funeral

deeinohio
10 years ago

Again, I want to thank every thoughtful, gracious person who took the time to respond and acknowledge my grief in my other posting. Normally, I like to recognize every single person, but I just can't right now. I will say there were a couple of posts which particularly helped me, but every one of them helped me get through a difficult day.

I wanted to let everyone know how it went. I am glad I went. Like Annie said in the other thread, it was a distraction and allowed me at brief intervals to forget. Unfortunately, I am going to have to try very hard to get over the bride's behavior. I won't go into a lot of details, but first was her lack of even mentioning our loss to us, even to my brother, her new father-in-law. But, there were other, much more egregious issues, some from ignorance, most from self-involvement.

As for the funeral, my father would have been pleased. It was all the comfort one hopes for in their grief.

The most comfort, however, came the following day. During the viewing hours, we had a DVD of his life, with the very old song he used to sing to me as a little girl running on a loop. It's a bluegrass song, but it is "him". I always imagined that the song would be too painful to hear after he passed, but it wasn't. So, the next day, DH and my brother were cleaning out his room at the assisted living while I visited with my mother in the Alzheimer's section. The Director was doing activities with the residents--reading the newspaper, talking about the weather, etc--when she said "Let's sing some songs. What song do you want to sing?" One of the residents shouted out the name of my Dad's song immediately, and they started to sing.That was the only song any resident requested, though they sang several more. I am not religious, but I will always believe my Dad was there watching over my mother, and letting me know he loved me.

Thank you all so much,
Dee

Comments (12)