SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
reno_fan

At what point do you say something about someone's drinking?

reno_fan
17 years ago

Wow, how can I word this delicately and anonymously?

We went on a weekend trip for a family gathering. There is one family member who we have no chance of eliminating from our lives.

She has always been a drinker, but it's gotten worse over the years. Over the past 2, we've purposely tried to limit contact with her, as we just cannot stand to be around her when she's drunk and emotional. (Very lovey-dovey drunk, not so much temper tantrum drunk.)

This weekend was so bad, DH and I were actually contemplating feigning illness just so we'd have an excuse to leave early! It was baaaaad.

She keeps pressing for us to send the kids up to see her. (She recently remarried and moved to a very exciting state.) To be blunt, there's no way in hell we'd send the kids up there! We don't even want to go as a group. We cannot stand to be around her.

My question is; at what point do you stop avoiding, and fess up to the person? I *know* she'd be shocked and apalled that we think she has a problem, and I also know, she won't change. Her new husband is the same way.

Again, it's not violent drunk, but rather sloppy, emotional, sappy drunk. So there's not any incident we can really point to, other than to say we've noticed it progressively getting worse.

Now that she's moved, we only see her maybe once every 6 months, so I really don't know how (or if) to bring it up.

Ugh. I wish she'd just grow up and realize how much it's affecting her ability to share with her family!

Any tips?

Comments (24)