SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artemis78

Removing ceramic tile from a wood subfloor?

artemis78
15 years ago

Hi,

We are still fairly new to the world of remodeling, and are wondering if anyone here might have experience with our current project. We have a ceramic tile floor in our kitchen that appears to be in a mortar bed over the original douglas fir subfloor. We'd like to remove this (it's getting grungy and also prevents a door into the kitchen from opening, because it adds almost an inch in height). I've tried prying at the corners, but can't get a good sense of whether the floor will simply come up once we start hammering at it. I've read that these frequently have tar paper below, but haven't yet found that---is that standard, or would they ever have mortared directly onto a subfloor? (I'm hoping I just haven't pried far enough into the floor to find this yet.)

Also, we'd ideally like to refinish the doug fir underneath instead of laying a new kitchen floor---what are the chances that this floor has survived being tiled and could be presentable with sanding and refinishing? (I'm still fuzzy on exactly how ceramic tile is attached to the floor below---if it matters, this floor was put in in the mid-1990s.)

Thanks for any advice!

Diana

Comments (6)