SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gfiliberto

Important blood test for women-CA125

gfiliberto
17 years ago

Excuse me, but it's that time of the year when I get on my soapbox.

My sister past away 2 years ago from ovarian cancer. Here is her story and how you can help yourself~

To all my friends-

My sister, Leslie, passed away two years ago from peritoneal/ovarian cancer.

Unfortunately, there isn't a routine screening for this kind of cancer.

However, there is a simple blood test called CA-125 that can detect ovarian cancer, but doctors don't regularly recommend it.

We MUST take it upon ourselves to request this blood test every year!

Even if your ovaries have been removed, you still need this test. Primary peritoneal cancer is detected with this test, too.

It isnt foolproof. However, it is the ONLY test out there.

My sister was diagnosed at 46 years old and was already in Stage 3. If she had this blood test regularly, she may have caught it in an earlier stage when it would have been easier to cure.

The CA-125 test is just a simple blood test.

It is not considered a cancer test because it's just a tumor marker, so doctors don't suggest it as a routine screening for women.

The healthy result is a number under 35.

My sister's number was in the thousands! If she had the blood test sooner, she might be alive today.

A raised CA-125 number doesn't always mean cancer, but it does mean there is SOME problem. Doctors don't want to deal with nervous women who get "false" positive results.

But "false" positive still means that there is some sort of problem going on that a woman should be aware of, like endometriosis or pregnancy.

Please request the CA-125 blood test as part of your regular gyn check-up each year. I get one every 6 months because of my sister.

DON'T let your doctor talk you out of it!

Unfortunately, ovarian cancer has no early symptoms.

My sister was healthy and had no family history. Her only symptom was slight abdominal/rectal pressure and feeling bloated. She thought it was normal female discomfort or a gastric problem. Her doctor sent her for many tests, but never suggested a CA-125. I suggested that she see her gynecologist, and she was finally given this test and diagnosed! By that time she was in Stage 3.

FYI- LeslieÂs other tests were all clear- CT scan, colonoscopy, endoscopy, ultrasound did show some fluid, but NO cancer. But the CA 125 was in the thousands, so the doctor knew.

Please get the CA-125 blood test yearly, and tell all your relatives and girlfriends!

Sorry to get on my soapbox, but, hopefully, this will save lives.

Your friend,

Gail

Comments (17)