SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cas66ragtop

plz help - Bryant Evolution heat pump price quote

cas66ragtop
13 years ago

Hello, I just got a price quote from a local vendor for a Bryant heat pump installation. I was hoping someone could look at what I have here, and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I live in Martinsburg, WV 25403. I have a 1-story, 2600 s.f. brick house. All ceilings are 9 feet high, I have a living room and dining room with 12 foot ceilings and a family room with a 16 foot ceiling. I currently have a 3.5 ton A/C (only) unit attached to all duct work. For heating I have an oil-fired water boiler. The coils for the heated water are within the duct work, for the heating of the house. I am sick of burning oil, all the noise and odors associated with it, and spending an average of $375 every 6 weeks, plus I still burn oil in the spring and summer just to have hot water. Seems like a very outdated system, even though it is supposedly only 18 yrs old.

I got 3 quotes. The best quote I got was as follows:

1 Bryant FE4ANF005 Puron Variable speed air handler

1 Bryant 286BNA048 Puron 2 speed heat pump, 4 ton/16 seer

1 Bryant Evolution thermostat control

1 15kw heat kit

They will modify the existing ductwork to allow room for the installation of the new heating/cooling gizmos associated with the neww heat pump and air handler. They will leave the existing Aprilaire humidifier alone.

Total price is $7,405 - original price was $7,745, but I negotiated, and a $340 discount was "the very best" they said they could do.

This package comes with a 2 year parts & labor warranty, and if I wanted a 10 year parts & labor warranty, that will cost $765 extra. Is this 10 yr extra warranty worth paying for?

I have to hire a plumber to install an electric water heater, and I also have to hire an electrician to provide power to the water heater and to provide power for the heat pump. I was told I need additional breakers and new wires ran for the new heat pump/air handler even though there will be a vacated breaker the existing AC unit is on and the existing breaker the oil furnace is on. This is all money I need to spend in addition to the quote from the HVAC vendor. Uggggghhhhh! I did have a quote from another vendor where they were going to do all of this, but their quote was $2000 more than the best quote, and rather than using the Evolution model, they were giving me the Preferred Series model, so I figured they were really gouging me.

I have seen the very same system on Ebay for $5800 installed. I don't know how much I would trust the Ebay model, it was just interesting to see the huge price difference. For all I know it could be counterfeit, or maybe its a unit that got returned and is "reconditioned" (even though the listing says its brand new). The other goofy thing about the Ebay model was that it only had a 1 yr warranty, when I know bryant has a 10 yr warranty. I feel safer having a local company do this. But then again, it makes me wonder how much gouging is being done by the local vendor.

Another question: Everybody knows the economy stinks. My guess is there are not too many people spending big money on HVAC systems nowadays. Meaning, HVAC companies are starving for business and willing to drastically cut prices just to beat their competition out of a job. Any truth to this? I work in land surveying, and this is exactly what is happening to us. We have competitors bidding jobs so low they arent making a dime of profit, they are just landing a job to keep the employees busy and thats it. How does this economy play into getting a decent price for a decent system?

One last question: I live in a pretty nice house in one of the more upscale neighborhoods. Does this mean I am more likely to be a victim of price gouging? I mean if I had an identical house located in a poorer neighborhood, is the price still the same? I have always assumed they think I have more funds available (not the case) so therefore they are going to charge me more.

OK I am done. thank you for reading my book. Please offer any suggestions. I look forward to hearing any helpful advice. thank you

Comments (8)