SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yxegeordie

Negative Pressure?

yxegeordie
17 years ago

Hi All

Recently replaced several old aluminium windows with triple pain low E argon filled windows. House is now pretty tight. It's a 1200 sq ft bungalow with finished basement. Gas oven now takes ages to heat up and initially gives off some fumes although they disappear almost immediately if door is opened (but I live in Saskatchewan and it's -30C outside!!). Also, ice forming around edges of storm doors and doors and sometimes they are hard to open (is air desperately trying to get in?) and main floor cold air returns making a high pitched whooshing sound. (I only have 2 air returns in entire house). I have put in a cold air intake (5" insulated pipe) that sits open between furnace and water heater in basement.(ending in a U shape) However, both furnace and water heater are vented directly to outside of house. Chimney is now also sealed up. Intake in basement is sucking in a lot of cold air but it hasn't helped the stove. So, I have a series of questions:

1) Do I have negative pressure issues?

2) Would more cold air returns help on the main floor?

3) Do I need a cold air intake directly into the furnace venting to deal with what may be infiltration issues?

Any advice greatly appreciated..what else should I look for re negative pressure?

As we are in a particularly cold spell my windows are frozen shut and I don't really want to open doors if I want to use my oven in a timely fashion. Gas range works fine.

Comments (7)