SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
moniku

help urgent--smart strand vs nylon for allergies

moniku
13 years ago

Hi everyone,

I have been going crazy the past week trying to choose carpeting for our new home, I have a little boy with severe allergies to dust mites, and I know hardwood is best, but we can't afford it and really need the noise reduction carpet provides, so his allergist told us to go with Low and Tight carpeting. The sales people in our town have totally confused us, as some recommend Smartstrand and some recommend tight Nylon.

the ones I'm considering are Mohawk Aladdin Nylon by Stockholm Springs, which is low and tight and the exact color we love,

second choice - Smartstrand Horizon by Mohawk - hate the colors

third choice most expensive is Karastan Smart strand -

another guy at a diff store says the Karastan is best bc it's not staples its' comtinous filaments, and the Nylon (choice one ) is staples? so it would shed more?

basically i like the whole idea of a smartstrand carpet, but the carpet seems shaggy like and i can't find one that is tight, which makes me think it would trap more dust mites and dirt, vs a tight nylon one? on the other hand maybe the shaggyness of it would allow it to vacum better?

Everyone talks about stainresistance of smart strand that's not our priority, ours is chemical emission (which Mohawk says is not an issue with neither bc they are all Green label Plus), and trapping of dust mites and allergies for our son. smartstrand is softer than the Nylon we picked but the Nylon seems heavier? Please Helppppppppp

any advice you have would be appreciated anything at all

our final $7K order goes in tonight, and we don't want to make the wrong decision, in addition we're about to get kicked out of our apt lease and it takes 1 week for the carpet to come in and 10 days to be installed if all goes ok... please help

Thank you soo much,

Comments (6)