SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jessie21or2

smart strand carpeting, for real? please vote!

13 years ago

Please vote, smart strand or other carpeting?

the story:

I need to replace some carpeting and have seen all the hype about smart strand...and really have pretty much just believed it all.

I've shopped and seen Mohawk's version, karastan's version, and Lee's (Lees at carpet one). They are fine, although I can't say I'm crazy about color options.

My question regards quality vs. cost. I was always taught to look for a dense carpet and none of the smart strand ones seem very dense. Unlike most mohawk carpeting, karastan and Lee don't tell you the density, but I can see for myself that the backing is pretty easily seen when separating the strands. Other carpeting can be found that is much denser at a more reasonable cost.

Will smart strand really stay looking newer longer than a good quality nylon? How could it when it isn't that dense? We really want something that will last and since we are dog owners, really need stain protection (of course we'll get the better pad, with moisture barrier).

For those of you who actually like carpeting, what would you do? Smart strand or other?

Comments (4)