SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jbellemare

Low air flow on both my heat pumps

jbellemare
16 years ago

Hi, I have been following this thread, among many others, for a few months now.I have received a lot of good info off of here and look forward to checking these boards as soon as I get home from work.

Here's my problem. I brought this house (built in 2001)in May of 2007 and I have had some trouble with both of my heat pumps. The upstairs one is a 2ton 10 SEER Rheem. During days that are below 85 and above 40 the heat pump has no problem cooling down to 76 or heating to 68. anything outside those parameters and it loses all ability to cool the upstairs below 80 and in the winter it kicks into aux within 5-10 minutes.

Our downstairs is a 2.5 ton 10 SEER Rheem system and seems to do ok with keeping the house at 76 in the summer, but it always quickly kicks the aux heat in during the winter.

I have had someone to come out and look at them and he found that upstairs unit was only registering 600 cfm. His first suggestion was to put another air return in the hottest/coolest room upstairs. He quickly changed his mind when he saw how much trouble that would be and recommended that the 12" flex line on the return be changed out for a 16 inch one.

He also recomended putting another return on the downstairs one and opted for the easiest method of just placing right on the air handler.

Is the 16" line going to make a big differance in getting the air flow up to 800-1000 cfms? Or should I insist he put in another return?

Is there going to be of any benefit to putting another air return right on the air handler (This system already as two, a 14x24 on the first floor and a 14x14 in the finished basement.

My main concern right now is that both systems are constantly going to aux after 5-10 minutes, even if it is only to raise the house 1 degree.

Comments (15)