SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arthistoryboy

help! rheem 16 seer vs. 18 seer prestige

arthistoryboy
15 years ago

Hi everyone - I have pretty much decided on a Rheem Prestige 16 or 18 SEER AC unit, attached to a 90-Plus furnace...not the 96% efficient furnace since it does not modulate for optimum temperature and humidity control.

But I have some questions before I commit. The people are quoting around $7900 for a 4-ton system with the 16 SEER prestige, Aprilaire humidifier, and special air filtration system; they are charging $8500 for the 18 SEER system. Am I right that the 18 SEER system will use a different coil than the 16 SEER? Is this price difference worth stepping up to the 18 SEER? Are there any advantages or disadvantages you can see?

Also, they are proposing installing a White-Rodgers 1F95-1291 "Big Blue" humidity control thermostat with this Rheem configuration. Does it allow for full use of the Rheem's multi-stage firing of the furnace? Is this the best thermostat I can get? I will use the humidity control quite a bit since I have artwork in my home that I would like to keep at even temperatures and humidity levels.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Comments (4)