SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daisycat3

need help/ central a/c replacement

daisycat3
16 years ago

I bought a condo 4 years ago and the original central a/c died in September (we had a good run - 34 years old!) So I'm getting quotes and I need to make sure I'm being told the correct things...so the facts that I have right now:

925 sf condo (one floor)

Live in CT so A/C used only a few months a year

Newer furnace in attic (Trane) which is connected to the existing a/c coil unit

I want to replace the outside a/c unit (condenser?) which is the part that died. Due to my budget, I'm looking a 2-ton 13 SEER Heil model (haven't gotten model number yet)

If I just replace this outside unit, I'm being quoted $2200 for everything (labor, unit, etc.). However, since the coil unit uses R22 Freon, which is being phased out, they will have to match the outside unit to it. So if the Coil unit dies in a few years, I'm SOL and have to replace the ENTIRE unit again. (That's what I'm told)

If I replace the entire system now, including the coil unit in the attic, I'm told $4100-4400 which would be the Heil 2-ton 13 SEER system.

This all sounds like a lot for what I'm getting. I'm getting more quotes, and the firt one was someone that was recommend by several friends, and he didn't try to push me into anything; told me to think about it, etc. Put the prices in writing for me, etc.

Something about R22 systems being phased out after 2010; can still get the R22 but not for "new" systems; since R22 being phased out, new coil units (if I need one after 2010) won't use it, hence the mismatch with the outside unit I get this year. My research on internet sort of confirms all this.

Are these prices somewhat inline for the CT/Northeast Area for this type of unit. Sorry this is so long and sorry I don't have model numbers. I just wanted some general feedback and maybe what other questions to ask the contractors that come out for estimate. Thanks!!!

Comments (4)