SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_16331601

road trip via car ...any suggestions ?

User
12 years ago

DH and I are leaving AL mid Aug . We are taking our camping stuff and our bikes and heading out. Destination is MT by Aug 21st. I have an exciting project going on there for a week.

To get to MT we are going to head due west and then due north. We are trying to go only about 350 mi a day so we will have time to set up camp and then hike/bike before dark .

To plan the trip I have used the most wonderful book that I found last Spring on the internet, Parks Directory of the US- 5th Ed. I got it used for $15 !! It is an 1100 pg. hardbound library copy. I followed up each place that looked interesting by going on line. We are taking the book with us as a reference for the rest of the trip.

1st stop is near Memphis TN- Meeman Shelby Forest SP

2nd stop-Montgomery City MO- Graham Cave SP

3rd stop- Scott City KS- Scott SP

4th stop- either Glendo or Guernsey WY-both have state parks

5th stop- Cody WY ( I just really want to go there cause Mom and Dad were there before my DD was born in 1982 and they came straight to our house in AL for her birth. They loved the area so much.)

6th stop-Whitehall MT-Lewis and Clark Caverns SP

When I finish my project we will head over to Glacier and into Canada to see the park and ride and hike. We leave MT and work our way to Bellingham WA where DH's sister and her DH live. We will stay in the state of WA for a bit and revisit a GW friend and also back out to Vashon Island where we vacationed last Summer. We will then head down the West coast via state parks and interesting places. Any suggestions are MOST welcome for this part.

Destination is San Diego where our DS2 lives and where I finished my bike trip last year. We will hang there for a bit and then we are going to work our way back across the US via the route I rode last year...more or less.

Definitely Silver City NM and La Mesilla NM and a couple places in AZ where the camping was really beautiful last year. Then ALL the way across TX...Langtry and Austin and Valentine and Marfa I want to revisit the Davis Mountains for sure, Honey Island ...and lots of other wonderful little places . We are hoping that the heat won't do us in.

When we hit New Orleans , I stopped there last year to see family , we will stay a bit and then home. We figure about 6000 miles ! If any of you have suggestions or are near the areas where we will be visiting I would love to hear from you. Either here or via email. Looking forward to the experience and the comments :) c

Comments (8)