SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blakestone

My bill has never been higher!!

BlakeStone
10 years ago

Please help me out here. I did TONS of research to see what my equipment puts out in wattage and was even on another forum. I like to get a 2nd opinion here. Here's my scenario:

I have ONE ROOM that I want to heat. My SMALL living room. I have been using baseboard heating since I got the house 18 years ago. When winter comes, its expensive. So, I decided to try infra-red. Ever since I put it in, my heating bill has been going up and up. But then again - its a very cold winter! So I want to know - if its the new heater causing it, or the cold weather.

The specs:
My home is kind of old. Was built in the early 70s. It has a 10 foot baseboard heater. Upon research, I see that the average is 225 watts per foot. So that makes this heater 2250 watts.

My infra-red heater is 1500 watts. Its only used in the living room, and we have a heavy blanket covering the entranceway into the dining room, so the only room being heated by this device is the living room.

So - is it more expensive to run this infra-red heater? Or should I keep using the baseboard heater. In the other forum I asked this in they were talking about heat distribution methods, and BTUs, and more. Does this really factor in? I just want a 2nd opinion. Help me save money!

Thanks!!!!

Comments (8)