SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sandca

Allra/Adura?Duraceramic? or Karndean? or Laminate?or Cork for Pet

sandca
14 years ago

I have been researching flooring for my first floor and I have been getting so many mixed messages that I'm totally confused on the best material or color choice. I have 2 English Springer Spaniels(one is incontinent and the other dances up a storm. I have a constant battle with muddy paw prints. I would like the flooring to run from my front door to the kitchen, family room, laundry and powder rooms. I like to have a continuous appearance. I realize no one floor is perfect but IÂm hoping that some of you have anecdotal advice/suggestions that could help me make the most functional, attractive and economically favourable choice. Thank you.......... Shannon

Tile: durable, hides dirt and paw prints well, water not a problem but very, very hard underfoot and hard on human and animal joints.

Adura, Duraceramic, Allura: more attractive then vinyl in front foyer,scrubbable  water not a problem, soft underfoot, quite a few people complain they scratch and chip very easily, others complain they are hard to clean because small indentations in surface collect dirt. Tile effect may not be attractive in family room but I could put hardwood in living and dining rooms (stone effect and hardwood butting up against each other would be better than 2 wood patterns)

Karndean or luxury vinyl: scrubbable - water not a problem, soft underfoot, appearance in front hallway would not be as attractive as tile or hardwood

Laminate flooring: soft underfoot, resists scratching,but cannot be scrubbed - water is a problem, stone imitations (Armstrong Limestone Bisque)hide dirt better. Wood grains have a higher sheen level and show dog slobber and footprints. Dirt would also collect in V bevels. Even though it would be partially covered with an area rug, stone effect might not look good in family room. If I used wood grain pattern I would have to extend it into living and dining rooms instead of switching to hardwood (two abutting wood patterns would look stupid)

Cork: busy pattern hides dirt, soft underfoot, water is no problem with glued down application but would be a problem with floating floor, my fingernail easily leaves indentations so IÂm afraid dogs could gouge it.

Strand Bamboo: durable but water could be a problem, high sheen and finer grain pattern shows paw prints and dirt

Brushed and oiled oak (Coswick brand): low sheen and grain hide dirt and scratches, attractive, hardwood increases resale value of house, not scrubbable, water could be a problem

Comments (5)