SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mwillows92

Has anyone used Armstrong's vinyl line Pryzm?

M W
6 years ago

I am currently researching new floors for my entire house (~2200 sq feet) and have narrowed it down to vinyl planks. I was at first looking at engineered laminate, but have been impressed with the higher end vinyl products (waterproof!). I like the look of US floors Coretec HD and Karndean Art Select line, however after doing a lot of research about VOCs and phthalates I am leaning towards Armstrong. Armstrong (and Tarkett) have apparently committed to reducing the harmful chemicals in their vinyl products (https://healthybuilding.net/uploads/files/post-consumer-polyvinyl-chloride-pvc-report.pdf). I want a well-made, beautiful product, but not one that could potentially have negative health effects down the line for kids and pets. Plus, vinyl is not environmentally friendly in the least.

So, with all that said, I have been leaning towards Armstrong. I requested a few samples and haven't found ones that I like yet. I just ordered samples of their designer line called Pryzm (https://www.armstrongflooring.com/residential/en-us/vinyl-flooring/luxury-vinyl/rigid-core-luxury-vinyl-tile/pryzm/item/PC014.html). They don't have any at local retailers of this line so I haven't seen in person (I looked within 300 miles of my house!). Also, I haven't read too many reviews (positive or negative) about their vinyl planks in general, especially recently. And I have yet to find one single review of anyone that has used Pryzm.

Anyone used Pryzm before, or known someone that has? Any insight or pictures would be greatly appreciated. Or even advice on other flooring companies I should look into that are also health/environmentally conscious.

And I appreciate tile and hardwood floors, but that's not what I'm looking for right now.

Thanks!

Comments (109)

• PRO
    WeShipFloors
    5 years ago
    The reason they say to mop spills immediately is that Melamine (their super dooper wear layer) is not waterproof, its porous. I took samples of Prysm to China a year ago asking if they could make my products in the same way. They wouldn't do it because of the water concerns. They were asking me how Armstrong was able to waterproof it because they couldnt figure it out.

A distributor for Armstrong told me on Friday that Prysm is blowing up on claims nationwide. I know thats not what the Prsym owners out there want to hear, but that is the word on the street.
  • HU-859383156
    5 years ago

That was laid!!! It went in flat then 2 days later I noticed the floor was really noisy and moving. I called the installer back and he removed 4 in the hallway and that was the first one from the door way. It is the interlocking plank system.

• Related Discussions

Armstrong Alterna vinyl tiles?

Q

Comments (1)
    I haven't used it, though we looked at it when we were floor shopping. I think I'd rather go the grout route (hey, that rhymes!). I'm afraid that any edge imperfections would be accentuated if they were butted next to each other.
    ...See More

anyone used armstrong's Cushion Step vinly yet?

Q

Comments (4)
    I know this is a very late response, but I installed Armstrong Cushion step in my bathroom and LOVE it. I love the look and idea of cork flooring, but not the price and wanted it for the bath. I was amazed at the beauty of the Cork-look Cushion Step. I installed it myself a few months back- NOT looselay- I glued it down completely. It is beautiful- feels great and cleans up wonderfully. It is not as soft as the name implies though. Tarkett makes a similar product called Fiber Floor in a cork-look and my mom has that in her kitchen, the look of it is not as authentic but it is very soft to stand on.
    ...See More

Using wallpaper to line drawers/shelves..Has anyone done that???

Q

Comments (9)
    Thanks everyone. I am going with anitamo's suggestion of using precut cardboard. Actually I could not find large sheets of cardboard to purchase and did not want to use random cardboard boxes laying around the garage (I have 15 drawers to line so want everything to be uniform using identical materials)...so I bought 4 large sturdy white posterboards from the local office supply store. I am going to cut them to fit the bottom of the drawers and simply wrap the wallpaper around the cardboard pieces and tape on the underside. My wallpaper IS pre-pasted. I definitely don't want any residue or paste to rub off on these brand new bathroom cabinets :) There will not be any clothing or linens going in these cabinets...it will be toiletries most likely stored in clear plastic/acrylic containers within the drawers. I just thought the wallpaper pattern would look pretty on the bottom of the drawers as well as protect them from spills, dust, etc. This post was edited by nutmegxo on Mon, Mar 11, 13 at 16:59
    ...See More

Has anyone used Luxury Vinyl Plank throughout?

Q

Comments (11)
    I'm not overly concerned about it looking like exactly like wood, because for me the practicality and price are paramount, living in a rural area with a busy family. I'll have a kitchen open to the dining room and living room, and I don't want hardwood in the kitchen. And I do like the idea of a clean look with the same flooring throughout. Plus I grew up with hardwood floors in a NYC prewar apartment, so I have particular expectations for hardwood : ) . Though I have to say that even the TrafficMaster Allure has fooled a lot of people, including visitors from Europe who live with hardwood themselves. And our dining room has windows on three sides, so it gets a lot of light. Besides, I'm so thrilled with vinyl plank flooring that I'm happy to tell anyone who asks about the details.
    ...See More
  • HU-859383156
    5 years ago

I’m waiting for the rep to come around and give me an explanation. anyone

else had issues?

• k newhart
    5 years ago

I ordered one box of the Pryzm I was interested in and there were 3 warped planks in the box that would not lay flat like the others. I figured in the installation of a whole floor those planks would end up working but maybe not. I decided not to buy the Pryzm and interestingly when I went to a flooring store looking for something else to use, the store told me they had just removed their Pryzm display because it performed poorly.

• Chessie
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

HU-859383156

That was laid!!! It went in flat then 2 days later I noticed the floor was really noisy and moving.

Ah. Okay I could not tell from your earlier posts. Will be interested to see what the rep says - please post an update.

It does sounds like this is a defective product. I hope you get resolution!!

"10nClr

· a month ago

What is being done about the bowing and warping of the planks in the Pryzm line. The word is is that this line is going to be pulled."

This ^^ was posted in the Armstrong reviews. Looks like you are not alone.

• Jonathan Barrow
    5 years ago

I have 2900 square feet of Pryzm scheduled to be installed. I hope the complaints online are more exceptions rather than the norm. It’s hard to say because it usually it’s the people with complaints that are the most vocal vs people who love something. Crossing my fingers I have a good experience. Nebraska Furniture Mart is installing ours and I hope their install team is top notch and do it properly to prevent any potential install related issues.

• Chessie
    5 years ago

"I hope the complaints online are more exceptions rather than the norm"

I expect that is the case. You rarely see the raves - only the complaints. Can you post an update after your install? Always good to see how these things go.

• Jonathan Barrow
    5 years ago

You bet. Photos seem messed up on new posts though.

• srgreenrn19
    5 years ago
    Our Pryzm has been down for more than 2 months in some areas as we are doing a home remodel. We have had no complications. I am in love with this floor.
  • Cindy Stiver White
    5 years ago

I had Armstrong's Pryzm in Waterfront-Sky Blue 8-27-18. I love this floor. I've read several comments. I did a lot of research and I believe you must have an installer who knows how this floor has to be installed. Mine was a perfectionist!!! He explained to me as he installed why he did each step. Every flooring tile installer does not know how to install this type of floor. Make sure you find an installer who does. CindyWSW

• Jonathan Barrow
    5 years ago

My install date is set to 8/17/2018. 2900 square feet of Pryzm - Elements of Heritage being installed. Doing the entire house replacing a mix of hardwood, carpet, tile, and linoleum.

• Chessie
    5 years ago

"My install date is set to 8/17/2018. "

You mean, 9/17/2018?

• Jonathan Barrow
    5 years ago

Correct. Thanks!

• Cindy Stiver White
    5 years ago

I still can't upload a picture of my floor, I still love my floor and have no problems.

• Jonathan Barrow
    5 years ago

Tomorrow is the big day. 2900 square feet of Pryzm going in! Wish me luck, it’s going to take them all week.

• Chessie
    5 years ago

Hope it goes well!!!!

• k newhart
    5 years ago
    be sure & share pictures here so we can see. i’m sure it will be beautiful.
  • HU-859383156
    5 years ago

I finally have a result From the floor bending defect. Armstrong are replacing my floor with a product of my choice. I’m not sure Why pryzm didn’t work in my house but at least their honouring the warranty.

• Chessie
    5 years ago

HU-859383156, that is very good to hear. Let us know what you choose to replace it, and how it goes.

• Colin Armstrong
    5 years ago
    I’m glad to hear that Armstrong is honoring their warranty. I almost didn’t go with them after reading so many comments about them not honoring their warranty.
  • PRO
    TJCS LLC
    5 years ago

I installed 650 square feet of this in March 2018 and I have having bubbles and lots of movement with the product. I am in a claim right now with Armstrong and they are taking their sweet time. I had 1000 feet to install and stopped because I did not like the way the floor was moving. Part of it is still in a box. Still waiting to see what happens.

• karanthappar
    5 years ago

After lot of hesitation I have selected Przym LVT(because of recommedation about it being maintenance free) for my townhouse with toll brothers after seeing these complaints I am nervous about my
    New house right now. Not sure what to

• Chessie
    5 years ago

kpkr87, what do you mean by "maintenance free"? You do have to clean all floors, in some method, no matter what the floor is.

• karanthappar
    5 years ago

@Chessie not really maintenance free but they said its more scratch resistant and water resistant than engineered hardwood and is more durable.They recommended it over engineered hardwood.Now after reading this complaints I am kind of nervous as this is our first house,we will not have cash to really redo flooring till next 3 years atleast.I am asking everyone here if I have to go back and ask for engineered hardwood(3 1/4 inch mannington) instead of Armstrong PRYZM?This house is in ashburn virginia and price is in mid 500's.I have selected Przym for all main level which is open floorplan with center kitchen,great room and dining room.

• megabob5
    5 years ago

@kpkr87, I am also buying a Toll Brothers house and I am putting the same flooring in the entire house. I too was worried about all the comments here but I noticed a trend, the people having all the issues installed the floor boards as free floating planks. They seem to have trouble with sliding and bubbling when they are floating. I talked to Toll Brothers about it and they assured me that the boards will be glued down and not free floating which should resolve all the issues mentioned above. When do they plan to start building your house?

• karanthappar
    5 years ago

@megabob5

Thank you.Its already under construction and supposed to be finished in April 2019.I am just hoping there will not be any issue for atleast 5 years. You live in virginia too? Please update once your flooring is laid down and about the outcome.

• megabob5
    5 years ago

Unfortunately, my build has been delayed and won't be completed until August. Maybe you can update me with your results ;) I am building a house in Maryland. Make sure you talk to the Foreman of the build and verify that they will be gluing down the planks and not having them free floating. Here is the official Armstrong web site instructions on how the floor is supposed to be installed http://www.floorexpert.com/articles/Installation/Pryzm-Luxury-Flooring-Installation-Instructions. At that site you will get an indication of how the manufacturer recommends the boards are installed and what conditions they are allowed to be in. I would checkout all the warnings and the way they recommend the boards are laid in relation to natural light. You can always ask the foreman to be notified when they start the installation and make sure they put it in correctly.

• Andrea Tishman
    5 years ago

We have been looking at vinyl plank for weeks and finally settled on Pryzm Savaged Plank...until I read the comments above. I called the Armstrong installation/service/tech support and asked about their history with bowed planks and was told that they haven't heard of any problems with bowed planks, so they couldn't tell me anything about it. Only that if there is an issue after installation to go back to the vendor who sold the product. Now uncertain...but haven't placed our order yet.

• B AO
    5 years ago

Ours (about 1000 sf) has been down for 5 months. No issues and so far wears like Iron.

• karanthappar
    5 years ago

@megabob5

He confirmed that ours is glued down too.Will update once done :)

• PRO
    WeShipFloors
    5 years ago

Megabob5,

The instructions say the floor is a floating floor but it can be glued down. If floating is an issue, why does Armstrong not just make the floor square edge and do away with the locking system? A "waterproof" floor expands and contracts due to changes in relative humidity?

Alan

• megabob5
    5 years ago

I think floating is possible but difficult to do. Unless an installer has been trained from the company or a lot of experience laying this floor it will buckle, especially in homes with varying temperature and moisture or the width between walls is too great causing too many free floating planks. Also, free floating planks limits the weight of objects you can put on it. The installation manual says if you install an island on top of the floor it cannot weigh more than 200 - 250 pounds. Anything heavier than that I am sure would cause buckling by pushing the free floating floor closer together.

• PRO
    WeShipFloors
    5 years ago
    The floor was designed to be floating. When a company starts reccomending gluing it, watch out!

Alan
  • danielclarke02
    5 years ago

More photos of the pryzm elements of heritage vintage multi floor? We love it, but I want to see more photos, or if anyone is near Denver I would love to see it in person. We have a week to decide.

• B AO
    5 years ago

Hi Daniel. Here are a few sice kob completed.

• Andrea Tishman
    5 years ago

For those who have posted your photos, thank you. We placed an order for 840 ft of Pryzm Salvaged Plank White and expect it to arrive later this week. Will post photos along the way.

• HU-585413238
    5 years ago

I purchased pryzm floor boards and layed them my self approx. August 18. Initally the floor looked great but by late November (3months later ) there appeared movement in several boards more where most walking was done. By early December the floor had developed more movement sideways and length ways to the extent I became concerned and asked the retailer representative for her comments and thougths. Initially it was suggested to put some sort of levelling product on he concrete floor as it was thought the floor may not be level, let it dry then relay boards, but further research elsewhere strongly suggested not to glue the boards to the floor to stop the movement .Then it was arranged for a rep from Armstrong to come and look at the floor ,I was concerned that this rep would not be coming until after xmas as the floor was deteriorating quickly and we were expecting family to visit us over xmas. By the time Armstrong rep came it was early January and in short was a waste of time, as all he wanted to do is find an out, and he claimed it was a result of laying the boards incorrectly. Instead of receiving a personal reply to discuss rectifying the problem, I get a email message claiming the boards have been incorrectly laid .I am totally dissatisfied with this company and the pryzm boards . Has anyone got any thoughts on how to get these boards to hold together , this was a $2000 investment and cannot afford to just throw them out .I need to solve this problem. Gary

• karanthappar
    5 years ago

@megabob

Though he said gluedown intially now he said it's floating

• janelockwooe
    4 years ago

My stomach is turning as I read these reviews. Here is my dilemma in this. Armstrong....are you listening and can you direct me please. We are also ready to order the same Pryzm flooring for our basement (concrete floor). It will be installed OVER the Schluter floor heating system. I was told that it is the top of the line and for both commercial and residential use; that I could throw a plank in the pool and NOTHING would change. No one has mentioned theirs being installed over a heating system but I was told it would not be a problem. Any input would be helpful.

• Jonathan Barrow
    4 years ago

1 year in, and we're loving the flooring still. We had it installed in on every floor, and in every room of our 2 story home. Zero complaints so far.

• HU-859383156
    4 years ago

They may have fixed it since mine got ripped up. I replaced it with quickstep laminate. Expensive but the quality is awesome. My only complaint was lack of colors to choose from. ItIt can be installed in wet areas

• Chessie
    4 years ago

janelockwooe

My stomach is turning as I read these reviews. Here is my dilemma in this. Armstrong....are you listening and can you direct me please.

Why don't you contact Armstrong directly?

• Prakash Patil
    3 years ago

Has anyone lately got Armstrong Pryzm and any experience to share? We are in the midst of deciding on Armstrong Pryzm for our 1500 sq ft basement. Heard some negative reviews so wanted to check.
    Thanks for the feedback.

• pavan kadri
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Better to avoid I have crunching noise all over.Toll brothers is the builder who intially went back to manufacturer who denied any fault and toll later said it's normal and they can't do anything about it.Not sure whom to blame toll or Armstrong. They did floating installation that might be the reason for issues

• HU-670873419
    3 years ago

Our floor looked great but has several areas that are popped loose and sticking up, looks like they are warped. I talked to installer and he checked with Armstrong rep who said (without looking at floor) that it is because we need to have a floor leveler added. Never mentioned before hand, and installer said most slabs are not perfectly level, so they should let you know it needs leveling to work properly.

• Gary Johnson
    3 years ago

Starting with a level surface and the use of quality underlayment are essential. Don't install on top of a warped surface and expect good results. I had Waterfront Sky Blue installed in most of my house 2 years ago. It was placed over concrete that was verified by the installers to be level. There is no buckling, it looks and feels great and is easy to maintain. I would recommend the Pryzm products, high quality and a reasonable price.

• rpbach
    2 years ago

I have 2000 sq ft of pryzm planks that are cupping .
    Armstrong rules for installing on a concrete slab floor were followed exactly. Moisture tests were taken prior to the install and met requirements. Armstrong is saying that a moisture problem is the cause and voids the warranty.
    The NEW guidelines say a 6 mil vapor barrier MUST be applied over any concrete floor regardless of moisture measurements.
    Obviously a problem has been discovered.
    I would avoid this product.

• susanmike96
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Installed Armstrong Pryzm White Forest in my kitchen in October 2020. No problems whatsoever!! Will now install in my 1/2 bath and mudroom/laundry room. Love this flooring. Don’t know why people are having so many problems? My advice is to get a professional installer.

• irun5k
    2 years ago

The backing is cork so I am not surprised by a vapor barrier requirement. We are having it put down throughout our new home and will be glad to be 100% tile and grout free for the first time in our lives :) I have some old samples that I've tried to damage. It is very difficult to scratch or gouge, the only way I was able to pit it was to take a decent swing at it with a sharp tool that had some weight to it. Makes me wonder if we'll even want or need to fuss around with felt pads under everything (they seem to be magnets for dirt, hair, fur, or whatever floats around before you have a chance to sweep it up.)

• Chad Marsh
    2 years ago

We had 2000 sq. ft. of their garbage installed in March of 2021, it currently is lifting in at least 30 locations from sucking up moisture. Armstrong rep will not stand behind it. Avoid Armstrong products is my suggestion. Poor product, worse customer service.